does anyone have

Sciatica? If so tell me what to do for the pain

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Health

• I get it a lot. I always just sit in the position that feels the best and do heat and cold over and over again. I stretch out as best I can.
    My dad used to lay down in front of a couch or a chair (on his back) and put his legs up at a 45 degree angle, elevated and lay like that and apply heat and cold packs to his back.
    Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon! xoxo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I had it when I was pregnant at the end. OMG the worst. It went away about 3 weeks after I had my daughter. If you're not pregnant try heating pad and advil maybe.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I had about 6 months where I got it...it will still flare up on the rare occasion, but nothing so consistent at that time.

For me, because it's a bulging disc in my spine causing the sciatica, getting up and walking when I'd start to feel that twinge of pain was the very best thing for me...helped loosen up and decompress my spine. If I stayed still (as much as I'd want to just lay down) I'd end up hurting more.

Also, even though the pain goes down the leg, icing or heating the lower back where the nerve actually starts seemed the most effective.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• See a chiropractor

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• yes, see a chiropractor. visits may be quite frequent at first, but once that immediate pain is gone, you will want to continue your chiropractic care, probably one visit a week to prevent this from returning. my dh is a chiropractor, it was his own sciatica that lead him to that field. he does find that when his flairs (often from emotional stress) it is best if he stands a lot.
    good luck and better health to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2010