Motorcycle

Hubby had one when we met then got rid of it. Had one again when we broke up then got rid of it. Now her wants another one. Thing is he works almost 65 hours a week with only one day off. He will never have time to ride it and it will most likely just be another bill. He asked me if I mind him getting one. What would you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't see anything wrong if you can afford it. Why won't he use it to ride to and from work? My dad got one for that. he has a 40 min drive every day and the motorcycle gets WAY better gas mileage than his truck.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If you have kids at home I would say no, at least until they are grown. If he would get in a bad accident and become disabled how would you care for the family? and him? But if you don't have kids and can afford it, then OK.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'd let him get it. Ask him to find a good deal on a used bike so that you can either pay for it up front or at least have small payments. Shop around for insurance on it - Geico quoted us somewhere around $300/month...with State Farm we paid $17/month for full coverage. Find someone to watch the kids on his day off and go for a ride together - it's a nice way to just spend some quiet time enjoying each others company. Plus, he can ride it to work on nice days and it is a real gas saver.

As all motorcycle riders should do - be a cautious rider! Pay attention to what you are doing, and pay attention to what drivers around you are doing. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wear a helmet!!!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My hubby has 2 so i may be a bit biased... I say let him have one. as long as he is a responsible father/hubby and is safe on it, there is no reason to say no. especially if he is the families provider. i think it is a youthful freedom thing that some guys use to still have a "careless" (for lack of a better word..not meant literally) side. It is something he wants. we may not understand why they want these things... but it is up 2 us to support our hubbys. the way should support us :) so as long as he isnt taking from the family financially (where yall are suffering because of the purchase) and as long as he is safe (take the safety class and wears proper gear.. along with following safety laws) then let him get one.. its worth it 2 see the smile on his face :) besides.. u have a great barganing chip come anniversary time..lol!!!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 1:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2010