What are your thoughts on the TV being a sitter??

I have to admit I let my 16 mth old watch alot of TV, but its NickJr and hey shes learning something so it can't be that bad right? I still play with her and she gets plenty of attention but sometimes I have other things that need done. So just wondering what your thoughts were on letting your TV do some babysitting?

XxMsTashaxX

Asked by XxMsTashaxX at 12:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as you are talking with her and reading to her and she does do other playing...then no issue. My son watched alot, but, I was also involved. His speech and everything was/is still above average.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I am not a fan of that but if you HAVE to do it because you are in college or something, then at least make sure its not anymore than you have to. Studies have found that the more tv a toddler watches the worse they do on tests and the more hyperactive they are later in life. This included educational programming. It was a little better than uneducational programming but it still is bad.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I do it too because I can't sit with her ALL day. She only watches limited shows. Sesame street, Wonder Pets, Dora, Blue's Clues. I also put music on for her too. When the music is on she plays more with her toys. I'm a SAHM so I have to keep up with the laundry and housework.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My son watched way more than the average toddler...he scores HIGH on tests and is not hyper or obese.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My daughter has some DVDs that we put in for her (we don't have cable and the basic channels barely come in) - she loves PeeWee's Playhouse! I usually put something on for her when I need to get something done or I've had a long day and just need a break. She's always got some toys in her playpen when the show is on, and she alternates watching for a few minutes and playing with her toys. Music keeps her entertained too, my husband plays a lot of ambient music during the day for her, and she adores Beck music videos :) I also spend a lot of time reading to her and playing with her, I think it all evens out pretty well. I think as long as you are still an attentive parent, it's ok to let the kids watch some TV for a bit.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I think everyone makes a bigger deal about it than they should. The TV is on constantly in our house and our children are still growing and progressing normally. They even have *gasp* IMAGINATIONS! Wonders will never cease.....
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 12:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My oldest is 23 and my youngest is 5.....what I have noticed is how much more speech delayed kids there are today then there was 20 years ago.
    Today theres a half dozen kiddie channels and all it does it makes a kid more speech delayed and less likely to pay attention during class. My youngest has watched TV as a toddler but it was never for long...my other 3 never had cable tv like my youngest has more of an obsession. He hates going outside, where my other 3 that never had more then 5 channels, loved being outside.
    But if TV is something you use sparingly and as an educational tool, like Blue's clue's or seasme street then in moderation is ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Again...that is not always true. You have to also work with them. My son had an emmense vocab very early on. His speech compared to other his age was WAY beyond the average.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• A constant sitter no. How ever I do use it to acupy the kids when I am on important phone calls, or doing housework.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I THINK ITS GOOD FOR CHILDREN TO VIEW TV AND THAT DEPENDS ON WHAT THEY VIEW AND NO TV SHOULD NOT BE A SETTER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010