Okay, I'm flipping out. I thought my daughter was just being stubborn. Now I feel like there's something wrong with her.

I asked about this in a question a few days ago. My daughter just turned 1 in march. I have exclusively breastfed her since about 4-5 weeks old (she needed the added calories of the formula, then I switched to fulltime breast once she gained sufficient weight) anyways, since 6 months old, I've tried and tried to introduce solids to her. the cereal, the stage 1 pureed carrots, everything. At 9 months she was still reluctant to even open her mouth, never took in more than a spoonful, and often gags while eating even the most liquidy of baby food. I talked to a ped nutritionist, she told me to just "let her go to town", put her fingers in it, smear food on the walls, etc. That really didn't do much, she still refused anything in her mouth.t one year I want to wean, for my own personal reasons. I am scared that she wont get enough nutrients and become anemic. Plus, I started researching and I see words like "oral defensiveness".

StrongYoungMom

Asked by StrongYoungMom at 12:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She likes what she is used to.
    You can wean her from the breast and feed her the 2nd step formula. Formula with added calories vitamins and nutrients for babies up to 24 months old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Did you ever just sit chunks of soft food on her tray and let her play with them? No puree'...she may hate liquidy food. Try avocado, banana and sweet potato chunks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• A infant can live off of just breastmilk or formula for the first year of their life. If you want to wean switch to formula and thats that. Just cause they are on solids doesn't mean you cut the breast milk or formula.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 12:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Kids are all different and take to solids at different ages. There are various "expert" opinions on when parents should start introducing them and mostly at the start it's not for nutrition it's to get them slowly used to different foods and textures. My twins were both different and my daughter took to solids before my son did. Even if you just get her to take a tiny bit of something different at her mealtimes, it will help her learn that the boob isn't the only thing that feeds her. I kept my babies on formula until they were actually eating enough cereal and other foods to fill their bellies then SLOWLY weaned them off to milk instead.

Your little one might just be a late eater like my son. Now I can't feed him fast enough lol. He's 20 months. Hang in there momma. Sometimes it just takes patience and perseverance.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 12:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2010