Almost 15 months old, but still doesn't say much... Am I worrying too much?

My son turns 15 months old this month, and he is still not saying a lot. He says words like "mamama" or "dadada." He doesn't yet say "dad" or "mom" and other small words like ball, baby, etc. I try reading books to him that have colorful illustrations, but all he wants to do is just tear up the books. On top of that, he doesn't even really pay attention when I try to read, or teach him words. He just wants to play or be silly. I hear boys can be late bloomers in situtations like these, but I'm scared that soon his 2nd birthday will come up, and he will have the vocabulary of a baby that is under a year old.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 1:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't mean this to be rude...but I think you are being an overly worried first time mom. We all were there at one point.
    Sounds like he is doing great. At 15 months being able to say only a few words is expected and normal. You will be amazed at how much he learns in the next few months.
    In a few years you won't be able to get him to stop talking! lol
    And the book thing is normal. He is an action kinda guy. He wants to do exciting things with those books, not just sit around looking at them. He will outgrow that as well and want you to read him a million books a night.
    Keep up the good work!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I believe early intervention is VERY important, however, at 15 months I think you still have a LOT of time to let him catch up -if- you know that his hearing is OK and he doesn’t have any other developmental delays. My nephew, who is almost 2, just had a well-visit and his Dad was told that he may be showing signs of a speech delay. (he doesn’t really talk at all at this point, just grunts for what he wants then cries when he doesn’t get it)

We are all trying to get my nephew to start talking more and if in six months he has not caught up, he will get a speech evaluation. If I were you I would take your concerns to your doctor and ask for ideas how to help his speech improve along with a specific timeframe to see those improvements. After that, if there is still a delay, you can have him evaluated for speech therapy.

Good Luck
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• This sounds normal to me for 15 months. I would continue what you are doing, and ask your doctor about it at the next well-baby checkup. The doctor should know if you need to test for hearing or how to go about finding out if there is a speech delay.

DD has always had a great vocabulary, but hers really wasn't much more than Mama and Dada at 15 months (I think she knew more, milk, and eat from signing, but I don't remember if she said them much yet). She turned 2 about a month ago and she now has the vocabulary of a 3 year old.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My daughter didn't say a word until she was almost a year old... hardly talked until she as two. Why? We think it is because she had an older sister that did all the talking for her. She had NO reason to talk. Now, she hardly stops talking. She has a great vocab and a huge imagination. But she was walking at a younger than normal age and could get anything that she wanted.

My oldest daughter could talk in sentences before she was a year old, but didn't walk (not a single step) until she was almost 17 months old. I remember being in the Dr. office 9-months pregenant with her sister begging her to just walk.

Our peditriacian said that kids that adnvance in one area tend to take a bit longer in other areas because their brains just haven't decided the other things are important enough to learn. My oldest could ask for anything... no need to walk. My youngest could get anything she wanted, no need to ask.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 11:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My son is 19 months and still doesn't really talk. He'll say ta for Thomas and sometimes will say ball or clock, or at least it sounds like that.

At 16 months we had him evaluated and they told us he was borderline but because he was babbling all the time, and still is, they would reevaulate him at 2 years old. Every week he's coming up with different consonant sounds, nanana this week, mamama last week, and so on. So we're hoping he'll start talking very soon!

I was worried earlier, but now I know he'll start talking when he's ready.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, you are, but if you really are concerned take him for an evaluation at early intervention or whatever it is that you have there that can help with speech therapy. Regardless of whether he needs speech therapy or not, it could be a helpful thing for him to do.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 12:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Definitely if you have any concerns, call early intervention in your area - you can google it. Mommy intuition is much better than any pediatrician's advice! If you get the eval and they say he's on target, then at least your fears are allayed. If there is a delay, then you've caught it early and he will be able to catch up quickly.
    Early intervention is KEY! My oldest is 12 and has autism - I didn't get him evaluated until he was 2 1/2 and I could kick myself every time I think about it because I feel he would be so much further along had I caught it earlier.

Answer by missanc at 1:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Nah-- you're good, we all worry. I was feeling the same with my son. He turned 2 in Feb and still has a pretty small vocabulary compared to most GIRLS his age, but seems to be pretty on par with the Boys. But, like a PP said.. if you are really concerned, have him evaluated.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't worry either. I would just recommend that when you're in a room together, keep talking to him. Tell him what you're doing, like if you're in the kitchen togther, say "I'm going to grab a bowl for your cereal". So that he constantly hears different words. My youngest is 4 and he didn't speak much either, and his speech still isn't real clear, but he's using MANY more words every day. It really makes me laugh hearing some of the things come out of his mouth when I thought he had a speech problem.
    molopio

Answer by molopio at 1:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• A lot of boys don't really do a lot of talking until they hit 2. My ODS was this way. He didn't really start signing until 15 months and didn't start talking until he was 2. Then it was a vocabulary explosion and now at nearly 4, I can get him to shut up, lol! It's fairly common for boys to be more advanced in motor skills and less in communication ( look at their adult male counterparts, lol). Boys tend to be doers, not talkers (generally speaking, there are always exceptions)!

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010