Have all states switched from food stamps to SNAP or are they different programs all together?

I know that SNAP stands for, supplemental nutrition asst. program, and is this a new way for Gov't to control what people buy with food stamps...I know in Minnesota Gov.Palenty would like to make it impossiable to buy anything with sugar or fat with food stamps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• 1 I thought they were all that already. That is all I hear people talking about on here is SNAP
    2 Why shouldnt the government control what you buy with government assistance?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No, it's not like that in Washington or Idaho - you can still buy anything in either of those states. Don't know about anywhere else.
    popcornlover

Answer by popcornlover at 2:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• The USA is no longer remaining the Free country it once was...slowly the gov't is controlling our lives and soon we will be a communist country.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• in california it is food stamps issued on an EBT card (like an atm card). the food stamps will buy anything edible. many places even sell cigarettes and beer to people with food stamps, but they aren't supposed to. i know because my child's father received aid. little to say, he is a deadbeat with zero ambition. but here's the deal: food stamps are designed to mainly keep people from going without- i.e homeless need to fill their stomachs, even if its with cheetos. so i dont think its fair to turn food stamps into a way that we can punish the underpriviledged. you get your ice cream and oreos, dont you?
    StrongYoungMom

Answer by StrongYoungMom at 3:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Down here that is called WIC, Food stamps is very different!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• you get your ice cream and oreos, dont you

No
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'm in Georgia. Here there is WIC and food stamps. I had to google SNAP....

http://www.massresources.org/pages.cfm?contentID=12&pageID=3%20&subpages=yes&dynamicID=304

Why did food stamps change its name to SNAP?

SNAP stands for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The new name shows that the program cares about good nutrition and healthy eating. SNAP's slogan is "Putting Healthy Food Within Reach." The new name also shows that SNAP is a modern program that uses EBT cards instead of old style paper food stamp coupons.

As far as Minnesota changing the SNAP program to disallow Fats/sugars, I can't say since I can not find any web sites to that effect.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It's still just plain old Food Stamps here in Florida, as far as I know.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• In NY its food stamps issued on an EBT card
    starryeyez23

Answer by starryeyez23 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• in LA it's issued on a debit card and you can still buy candy with it.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2010