Does your husband have a dangerous job/away alot for work?

My husband just accepted a job working on oil rigs in North Dakota. He will be gone for 2 weeks, then home for 2 weeks. I am not quite sure what to expect. We will get to see eachother MORE believe it or not as I will be a SAHM now. I have heard conflicting things as to how safe it is, how to get by alone, etc.
Any input here? I know it is better in the long run but I am struggling with the whole idea....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• oil rig is dangerous.....just dont worry..lol...my man is a cop he works 6 nights a week 12hour shifts i worry every night.....the only way not to worry is thinking he does office work....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My dh is in the military. Right now, he's on shore duty, so he's home. But over the yrs, this has not always been the case, and he's been deployed a lot, so I understand that whole "dealing with things when he's gone" and the whole "dangerous job" stuff goes.

But, honestly, you just have to pray and trust that God and common sense is going to keep him safe. Because, until you hear otherwise, he is safe, and there's nothing your worry is going to do to change how safe he is, it's just going to make both of you crazy.

As far as learning to handle things by yourself, you'll be surprised at how self sufficient you are, once you start doing it :-) Plus, you can call him, email him, etc about stuff. Just because he's not there physically with you doesn't mean that he has to be left out of all the decisions :-)

You can do this :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No Thank goodness! He used to travel A LOT but now his job only requires him to travel about once a year. He's been to Japan and Germany for work. Wish I could've gone! But, I did get to go with him to Hawaii a few years back. He went to meetings. I played tourist!! What fun!!!!!!!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 5:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My DH is a motorcycle cop in Los Angeles for over 11 yrs he works 10 or more hour shifts and only gets a few days off a month. He was also was in the Navy for 15 yrs and has gone to war 3 times and did many tours over seas for months at a time. Not saying it was easy but this is all I know after well 20 yrs of this life, it never gets easy but I manage and I am more self sufficient than before I lived this life. I am not afraid of anything. I take things one day at a time. When the phone or the doorbell rings I am ready for anything because I have to be.

It will be hard at first just like anything new in life but I promise you are stronger than you realize...

Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 6:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My boyfriend is a truck driver. Not really dangerous, exactly, but he is gone a lot. He's pretty much gone all the time, and home 4-6 days a month. It is hard, but you figure out a rhythm and you learn how to do things you never did before, and unless he's a jerk (which I doubt if he's taking a job that allows you to now stay home), he'll do things you can't when he's home. And you just make sure that you have the numbers to a good plumber, electrician, etc., to handle anything major that comes up while he's gone. Honestly, for me, the hardest part is saying goodbye when it's time for him to leave. Everything else is cake compared to that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yup, hubby is a po-po, 5-0, cop, long arm of the law...jokes aside. When he walks out that door in the morning, we never know if he'll walk back in again. Harsh and painful reality for his very very thankless job.

lolamac

Answer by lolamac at 8:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Hubby is Military.He just got back from Iraq in Feb after being gone for almost a year. They next deployment will be a year or longer :/ My hubby also leaves soon to get his jump wings so he will be gone a couple weeks.Its kinda something you get used to.We have Skype and I was able to talk to him everyday while he was gone.HIS next deployment will not be like that so i am scared.BUT its life being married to a hero of freedom lol.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• my husband installs, repairs and maintains the 100,000 volts of electricity needed for the acela trains. it's a very dangerous job. all you can do is try to put it at the back of your mind and not let it haunt you.
    mitch576

Answer by mitch576 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My Husband is a Firefighter and EMT. When I do worry it is usually about him getting hit by some idiot driving towards what they are looking at. In all honesty though I rarely worry, I don't know why, it's just the way I am. My Mom is Special Agent for the Highway Patrol and while growing up she had to work undercover a lot and worked in dangerous situations, maybe that just helped condition me.
    Worrying isn't going to do anything but cause stress. When you start worrying about something cancel it out. I have no clue about the dangers of oil rigs so I am going to use DH's job as an example. Like if I am worrying about him stopping traffic in the middle if the night on the interstate, I counter and think well he is a smart man and knows what to do, plus they have those safety vests that reflect at night.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes, my husband is a police officer, on the swat team, and a former Marine who served in Iraq. Let's just say this marriage is far from stress-free(meaning his career). I have faith in him and keep myself strong. I try not to over think things and keep busy with my child. At times I know he'll be on a call and it if we're talking he'll hang up and I know it may not be good-but I know he will always do his best to come home to us. When he was in Iraq we were having a phone chat and I hear "gotta go-and then some sort of loud noise explosion). I think I just prayed and prayed-I was really numb. Anyway my hub also works 12 hr+ shifts and it's hard, but I'm there to support him. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2010