Why is it (some) people who say don't eat this don't do that it's bad for you are usually the first ones to give their kids junk food?

The people I know that say don't drink milk, don't eat red meat, don't eat lunch meat, don't buy anything not organic, don't use certain things for your childrens bodies( IE lotions). They are the ones that turn around and give their kids candy left and right.
My sister told me I am horrible for giving milk to my kids but she is just fine letting hers eat 3 - 4 large candy bars a day plus ice cream.

My kids don't eat junk they get fruit for treats. Am I the only one that finds that weird that people make a huge deal about certain things but then turn around and does something that contridicts what they were just yelling at you about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have never met anyone like that but yeah that is a little hypocritical of her. Have you pointed out all of the terrible things in junk food?
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 5:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No I just roll my eyes and let her think she is right. It is just so annoying that she and her friends bash in a way about me giving milk to my kids but they are junk food junkies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• whats wrng with milk kids need milk to make there bones strong
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 9:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Some people don't like milk because it's an animal byproduct. They drink rice milk, soymilk, almond milk, or another kind of milk instead.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yeah, it gets annoying. My sister goes on about how she is a vegetarian and she doesn't understand how I can give my kid meat. Then at a family get together my mother had a lovely meal set out for everyone (including lots of veggies) and my sisters kids whined at the food because they aren't use to eating veggies. My sister told them to go get the bag of cheese puffs and eat those for dinner. It's one of the more common dinners in her house because she hates to cook.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• And yet they are over weight. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• People in general like to give advice, whether or not they actually would do the same things themselves. My mom is similar to your sister in that she can give the "best" advice (and projects her issues like crazy) but heaven forbid you suggest something to her. Oh well. Know that if you are doing the best for your children - teaching them healthy eating habits, then that is all you really need to worry about. I know your sister is annoying, but if you just nod your head (and ignore her) she might eventually stop giving you advice.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would ignore her. Milk is a good thing. I can't stand THAT TYPE of vegetarian. I say if you want to be vegetarian/vegan, go ahead, as long as you're not pushing your views onto me (or others). I think that's kind of funny that her kids hate vegetables, but then, it's sad. YOU know you're doing the right thing.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 9:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• "whats wrng with milk kids need milk to make there bones strong"

__________________________________________________________

No, kids need high impact exercise, like jumping, climbing, running, etc. THAT is what builds bone mass. NOT milk- the amount of protein in cows milk takes literally MORE calcium to process than is actually in it- hence why it is better to get calcium from other sources. Cows milk is BABY COW FOOD, not people food.

~~ I agree with you OP, my sister is one of those people... No dairy, no meat, etc. etc. but feeds the kids nothing but breads (although whole grain), pasta, potatoes, and sweets- they live on an all carb diet.
    I have issues with all of the meat eating, dairy consuming, junk food hording people who attack me for what and how I feed my children... So, it goes too ways. But I clearly do agree with your point.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• ** Two, not too

please ignore my typo.. started on a different train of thought and changed directions.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2010