I feel so ashamed, I know it prejudiced, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm putting this here, because this is a spiritual battle for me. Help me?

We have to rent our house out because we're moving to another city. Around here we have a really bad problem of Hispanic families doubling even tripling up in houses. One family will rent it but then they move more in with them. I personally know of 1 small 3 bdrm house with 11 people in it. I've had 2 Hispanic families come look at the house. One was supposed to be a family of 4, but 9 people showed. The other was worse. Supposed to be a family of 5, THREE vehicles showed up and we counted 13 people. We've talked to a couple of people we know who rents houses and they tell us that Hispanics are really bad, disregard the lease and trash houses.

I just don't want that. This is about protecting my property. But I feel so bad about it. What do I do? We're already broke and renting it out only cuz we can't afford to sell right now. We're struggling ourselves. How do I protect my house and not be prejudice against Hispanics.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is a tricky situation. I think removing yourself from the situation and your emotional attachment to your house might be helpful. I would look into a property management company. They can screen renters and deal with problems. Some will do everything for a small percentage of the rent. You will have to come up with money to make repairs whether you use a management company or not. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I honestly wouldn't trust them if in your area they do that. It is protecting your home and property.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Race or back ground aside, you should always require a credit check from any possible renter. We have had renters too and have had pretty good luck with people who do not mind a credit check. We have had all races of renters and have not had hardly any problems with any of them. You make sure to have them understand the lease and everyone in the house has to be listed in on it. We have also used reputable property management companies and they are a good liaison to have.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Get a background and check from whomever you rent to and make them pay a deposit. You cannot discrimenate to anyone based on race or ethnicity though. That is housing descrimination and is illegal. I am sure that you would rather be fair then go to jail.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 6:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP Here.... Well can't there be a way to use your intelligence and intuition without it being discrimination? As it was I asked the one family who would be on the lease and they started speaking Spanish among themselves and then a whole lot of hemming-and hawing started. When I finally got an answer, it wasn't even the person that called me and told me that she was married with 3 kids. It was her sister-in-law who has 5 kids. Now that was misrepresentation and called their honesty into play. I've never rented my house before and never been a landlord, that's why I'm trying to be right about it. No, of course I don't want to go to jail. They put you in jail for not renting to a family because you don't trust them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Get a credit check from everyone that is serious about wanting to rent from you. It doesn't matter who they are or what ethenticy they may be. If you want to protect yourself and your tenants, do the credit check and previous address etc. Never do any sort of arrangement like this without having either a property management association or at least a lawyer. Do not rent to anyone on your own, have someone that understands the legal process. You can have discrimination charges against you if you don't rent to them because they had to speak their native language around you. Hire someone to help you, it is worth it to have peace of mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP here... what does a "professional" cost.... I mean we are B-R-O-K-E and are ONLY renting because we can't come up with the money to sell the place. We're moving because we can't make a living here. We're literally borrowing from Peter to pay Paul these days, juggling bills, doing without groceries, etc. We're moving cuz we have to. If I pay a lawyer I literally may not have the money to move. I feel so stuck now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'd do a credit and background check. If there's a way to check if they're legal citizens of this Country, I'd do that too. Like I said, I 'm not sure if you can do that or not, but that would be a sure fire way to not rent to Hispanic families in your town without breaking the law.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If you don't trust that family because they lied to you than its fine not to rent to them. That is a legitimit reason. Its when you rule out anyone that is hispanic that it becomes an issue.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP again... ugh. It's not just that family, I'm afraid that I'm feeling prejudice and that's bothering me. Profiling is both wrong and necessary, but I guess I'm feeling like "Who am I to be the one to judge other people because of a reputation" But at the same time, I really am scared about leaving my house behind and not knowing what's gonna happen to it or how much it could cost me (when I'm already living hand to mouth) if I let the wrong people live in it. I guess maybe I'm looking for some kind of guarantee and there just isn't one. Y'all I hate this. I really do. I hate how I'm feeling, I hate there should even be this kind of question. And I only came here because I really do need and want honest, helpful advice. Keep talking, it's helping me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2010