Gel in Diapers...

So Im looking for new diapers for my 8 month old. We've been using Luvz and they have worked really well until recently. DS sleeps on his stomach and the front of his diapers fill up, making all those gel crystals swell up and basically explode all over his stomach. Any suggestions on diapers that do NOT have the gel or are reinforced in that area? Ive used Huggies and Kirkland brand and HATED them, but that was awhile ago so I may give them another shot...

Aqua_Jen

Asked by Aqua_Jen at 8:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with Pampers with the gel. I use Huggies. Not the little movers the other ones. I forget the name off hand lol. The overnights are great IMO. I have tried Bj's brand too but they run too small. My daughter's hiney always hangs out no matter what size I get!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Cloth. No gel.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We use the new Pampers Cruisers with dry max and so far have not had that problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP HERE: I have been thinking of cloth diapering. I just dont know much about that. We did use Pampers Swaddlers when he was a newborn, but theyre so spendy. I dont want to pay a fortune for diapers but I guess its better to spend more and avoid the irritation. Seriously though, cloth diapering, how do I go about that??
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• All disposables have the gel. What I did that worked super well is during bed time I put my kids in Huggies Overnights. They do a great job of wicking away moisture all night long and hold a ton of pee without releasing any of the gel. During the day, Luvs can release some gel if you don't change them often enough. Pampers do a better job of not gelling up, but they are very pricey. My favorite disposable diaper is actually the Target generic called "up & up." They never gel up on my kids, but I still recommend the Huggies Overnights for bedtime.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP HERE: We did try the Huggies Overnites about a month ago, but we cant find them locally in his size regularly and he started getting red so we just didnt bother ordering them online. I thinking we're going to have to try the all natural diapers or cloth. I just dont know what else to do.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I used Pampers night time during naps,, I found for a boy this worked really well. CVS has really good "store" brand diapers. I used cloth until he was about 3 months old,, but honestly found it tiresome to do laundry all of the time! I had a diaper service for a couple of months, and loved that, but they went out of business and had no one in our area to replace them! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• In my experience (working the baby room of a daycare and babies at home) most parents love Huggies for girls and Pampers for boys. If they did opposite, they complained about the gel. Its weird, but for some reason its worked out that way. I have boys and they wore/wear Pampers. Whenever I put them in Huggies, the gel came out. My SIL said the same thing about Pampers for her daughter and used Huggies instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• There are lots of different ways to do cloth diapers. What most moms do is get diaper covers. You put the diaper in the cover and I used liners that look like fabric softener sheets. If the baby poops you can hold (with disposable gloves if you want) the diaper by a not gross corner over the toilet and the sheet and poop fall in the toilet and flush away. You can put the diapers in a diaper pail or the washer to soak.

There are lots of cloth diaper using moms on Mothering Magazine's discussion board and they can give you lots of info about different brands. My kids are all adults.

http://www.mothering.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Cloth

Answer by rkoloms at 3:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2010