Do people still do housewarming parties?

I haven't ever known of any relatives or friends doing it. I find that when some one gets married, their registry includes a lot of stuff for a home. I've been married for 7 years, never had a shower or reception (we eloped) so I was never registered for it. We are about to buy our first home. Is it "acceptable" to throw a housewarming party and make a registry now?

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Absolutely. House warming parties are still hip. As a matter of fact, your invitees probably feel more special as a guest than at other types of parties such as weddings. But as a hostess, you've gotta play it big. The housewarming party is an invitation to "come see my new home". The house must be guest-ready, with proper seating, clean and tidy areas, and plenty of food and drink. I've been to several but the most memorable ones are with entertainment. One hired a flutist and a harp player for background music. Another had a casino table in the main living room. I especially enjoyed the home who had a priest come to bless the house in the opening, and then had a guitar lyricist(I think thats how its said and spelled) who played the guitar, and told folk tales. These are just a couple of ways to throw an unforgettable party since your guest are bring gifts to you, why not give them a pleasant gesture in return.
    Anais426

Answer by Anais426 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• When we bought our first home we had a housewarming party. I wasn't thinking about gifts, I was mostly excited just to be buying our first home. We did get some interesting things though when people came by.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes, I know lots of people who have housewarming parties when they buy a new home.
    Teeny83

Answer by Teeny83 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes! We are like you...dh is in the Army and we never really had a "real" wedding reception. When we bought our first house we had a housewarming party. And I know plenty of people who have had housewarming parties for every house they have lived in!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• After 7 years, you hopefully/probably have everything you already need for a home, right? I would just throw a "hey we bought a first home, come over so we can have some food and be excited together"...party. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• @ anon :07, actually no LOL. we've been military for six of the past seven years so we've learned to travel, and live, very light. we have a sofa, beds, tv, and clothes and that's pretty much it.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I know people that have moved after buying their first home and they still have housewarming parties but when they have the party they list "no gifts" and just have their family and friends over to visit and have fun. Sometimes they will do it as a potluck too and that's fun.
    Affirmation

Answer by Affirmation at 11:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes, housewarming parties are still acceptable, but a gift registry for a housewarming party is NOT. Some people will call and ask you what you want or need, and it is acceptable to tell them, but others will likely just bring you something that they think you will like. Be prepared for lots of candles.

If you are doing it just for gifts, don't. It will cost you at least as much in party costs then you will likely get in gifts.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No. Do not register.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 1:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We had a housewarming last year. We didn't register, though. We had just gotten married about 6 months before, and we got tons of household stuff from that. Lots of people brought bottles of wine, candles, things like that. It was nice. We basically had a huge cook out and hung out with our friends and family for a few hours, and gave everyone a tour of the house. It was a great time.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 11:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010