Milk/cup after one

My son is 13 months and i have been offering him a sippy cup since he was 11 months...just threw it and made a mess. I then started giving him water in an open cup but I had to hold it or else he dumped it over. He would still gasp and start to act like he was choking on the water...i kept trying it a tiny bit. Now that he is eating 3 meals a day and sometimes a little snack, he doesnt want any milk except for at night. I have been offering it just lke before in an open cup but he wont have it and i waste at least 20 ounces a day doing this. I offer a bottle after meals if he wont drink out of the cup and usually he seems to full bc he wont have more than half an ounce.
Is there a better way? Should I just wait? should i just try the water throughout the day? Please give me some suggestions for this! all of my friends kids went "right to the cup" at 1 year so they are not really helping.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Personally I wouldn't give him a bottle at night, and then stick to water. If he throws the cup again, then at least it's not milk. Also if my child threw a cup, that cup would be taken away and he would get a very firm "No Throwing". There are also many different sippy cups out there, so maybe he just doesn't like the ones you have. Who knows what goes on in their little heads lol. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• well i dont think he grasps the concept of LIFTING the cup up. I would give him his bottles and have to put him on a pillow tilted back just a notch when he started holding them n that was the only way he would drink. not sure of a better way for him to understand the concept except to just keep trying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would take him to the store with you and let him pick a cup he likes... Our boys loved it, and then when we got home they wanted something to drink out of it.. They also loved the little juice boxes with the straws, just be sure he's in his high chair and you can watch him with it. Or you can get the sippy cups with the built in top that pops up like with a straw on the inside of the cup. Make him a part of picking them out. Then sit with him with one in your hand and make it fun showing him how to drink out of it.. Don't worry Mom, he'll get the hang of it, just don't revert back to the bottle if you're trying to wean him from it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would keep giving him the sippy. At 13 months he should be off the bottle anyway. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to take it from him.
    Anonymous

• Stick with water; milk is unnecessary. Be sure that you drink water, and offer him sips from your glass.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010