Schools aren't allowed to teach about Jesus

are they allowed to teach about Zeus

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep. Well, my particular teacher didnt, but some teachers taught about other gods.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I never learned about mythology in school....my son either. He has books and internet for learning that. I don't think schools should teach about any religion unless they are going to include them all. They need to worry about other scholastic skills.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• They did way back when I was in grade school. We learned about Zeus as well as the other Greek and Roman gods as part of a lesson plan on mythology.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Our 13 yr old is learning about all of the different religions, or beliefs in social studies... The history of them, what they mean, and the differences.... It's not like they are praying everyday, they are learning about different cultures etc. I'm glad they do, then he will be able to differentiate the religions, and maybe one day choose what he wants to be a part of or not..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• BTW, he's in a public school...
    MrsLeftlane

• They haven't studied mythology yet, and not sure they will, if they do I hope he learns from it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My daughters school told one girl she couldn't read her favorite book to the class because it was a Christian story. Yet they did activities that include other religions. They had to learn Hanuka songs and make a dreidel. The older kids had to read part of the torah and write a report. When you celebrate birthdays you can't have decorations on your treat because the JW kids wouldn't be able to have that.... It's not a separation of church and state, it's a separation of Christians and state. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• People think Jesus and the God of the Bible are REAL and it's the accepted 'religion' of the day. The old Greek, Egyptian, Roman etc. religions are now thought to be untrue and therefore are now considered mythology. There is a difference between teaching defunct religions and ones being practiced by the majority of the Country in the present day.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I never learned about them until I took a mythology class in high school- it was for an english credit
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'm sure we briefly discussed it when we talked about world history in school. I kick myself for not taking the official world history class my school offered, since I'm going to be doing history for my career. Stupid me and my stupid teenage self...
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2010