What should i do

I have a one year old son who does not listen to anything I say I tell him to stop but he just keep right on going I do not like to take him in public much because he does not listen to me or his father time out wont work and now if i tell him to stop or take something from him he'll try too hit me or bit me I tell him no he tells me no .I did not go through this with my daughter she was more calm .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• redirect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You would like your son to obey. Punishment hasn't worked. Psychologists know that punishment doesn't stop bad behavior. It teaches kids to behave worse, sneak, lie, hit, and not like their parents. Punishment never teaches good behavior. Parenting based on punishment is the least effective kind of parenting.

A good toddler parenting book is Love & Limits. It is a problem solving parenting method. The author is Elizabeth Crary and she has a website called Star Parenting. There is a chart you can print out with parenting ideas.

http://www.starparent.com/about/print.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Here is an article about the problem of saying no to your toddler and why it doesn't work.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• LOL, my son is 14 months old, and still doesn't really listen to what his dad and me tell him. He also gets very mad and starts to have a tantrum if we take anything away from him. Unfotunately, this is an age where the only way to get through them is by constantly repeting everything and reinforcing the meaning of "NO!!"

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 12:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010