our son has been eating baby food for a month and he gets it every other feeding. people think we should give him a jar of baby food and a bottle what do u think

missashoo

Asked by missashoo at 10:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 10 mths and that's what I do. Every other feeding he gets a jar of baby food but I also give him either juice or water in a sippy cup. But as long as you make sure he's getting 3 full (by full I mean what he on average drinks) bottles a day. I would worry about it. Sounds like your doing a good job.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 10:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• He should get both. Until they are a year old babies still get the majority of their nutrition from formula or breastmilk. If you read the labels on the jar, they're not very high in calories or the needed vitamins. Once he's on solids, it won't be such a big deal.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• The baby food isn't really intended to be a source of nutrition so much as practice eating. I wouldn't worry about what other people say and do what you think is best for your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I think babies never need jar food. It's expensive, it tastes bad, it has a high water content, it must be spoon fed, and it's bad for the environment. Babies can feed themselves (with their hands) fork mashed food. If they can't feed themself then they aren't ready for solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I always breastfed my babies right after solids, like giving a drink with the meal, until they were at least 11-12 months old.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010