Well since you all keep barying this you wont mind if I reask it Will you?

Why is it when ever we ask for justice the catholic seem to take it as an attack on their religion?

All we want is the kids to receive true justice. We want the church to hand over the guilty. How is that attacking your faith? It isn't it is asking for justice. It is protecting our children. You want to see innocent priest get attacked. Let the church keep hiding the guilty and you will see parents attacking the priest. You will see vigilantes. You will see violence. So which would you prefer an investigation with legal justice or violence. Take your pick. Stand your ground and help get justice for the children.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Didn't you know that it's OK to sexually abuse children, if it's done in the name of god? It isn't catholics alone, but they do a better job of protecting their pedophiles. Honestly, I think they should be publicly castrated- that won't cease the wandering hands, but it will sure as hell send a message to the rest of them.

It has nothing to do with religion, though they get their panties in a bunch- our society has become SOOOO PC that they have to look for reasons to be persecuted.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• any little thing toward any religion is seen as an attack - I mean just read the stuff posted here on any given day...even a simple question about someone's religion is seen as an attack!

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I only see it as an attack if it's implied that somehow the Catholic church is different than society as a whole. Don't all abused children have a right to justice regardless of their religion? The CC has acknowledged it handled things wrong and is taking steps to address and correct issues. Hopefully others institutions will as well. There are several possible problems with the current moral panic about abuse in the CC. The vast majority of priests who are ethical, dedicated, and celibate will be subjected to public suspicion. The good work of the CC will be ignored as overwhelming attention is paid to the moral panic. Abuse by non-Catholic religious leaders or other adults (teachers, coaches, familymembers) may be largely ignored. Addressing the issue of child abuse for all is important and will require continuous effort by society as a whole.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• barying??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• barying??

Chill out it isn't an essay. You know what I meant.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• "Abuse by non-Catholic religious leaders or other adults (teachers, coaches, familymembers) may be largely ignored."

It's not that it's ignored. The Catholic abuse is getting more "airtime" b/c of the way it's been handled...or rather, not handled. The Catholic Church has basically been, in the public view, protecting those who abuse children, where other religious abusers, or just abusers in general, when they make it into the public eye, it's because they were caught and are now going to (hopefully) be punished for it. I agree that any abuse should be brought into the open and the abuser punished for what they've done. Which is why I have an issue with the whole Catholic abuse situation, b/c it seems (and I will admit to not paying a ton of attn, so I could be wrong) that the church is protecting those who do it, and try to brush it off as no big deal. I'm glad if they are finally doing something about it, but...con't
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• there's still countless children out there, or adults that were abused as children, that may never truly see justice b/c of the way the church dealt with it.

I sincerely hope to see that they will deal with it more appropriately, but until I actually see those changes...I'm not going to get excited just b/c they admit to handling it wrong in the past.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• The Catholic abuse is getting more "airtime" b/c of the way it's been handled...or rather, not handled.

Except every other institute and society as a whole handled..or rather, not handled, child abuse the same way the CC did.  Other churches, schools, teams, even families all dealt with child abuse privately - they all "covered it up" thinking things like the abuser could change themselves or thinking it was better for victims if such things weren't handed publically.  Focusing only on how the CC handled it ignores that schools continue to let abusive teachers go from one school to another - or doctors or coaches can do that.  That within families people allow relatives to get away with abuse.  The press focuses on the CC because it sells - society needs to get beyond that and deal with the underlying issues related to child abuse for all childen.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Except every other institute and society as a whole handled..or rather, not handled, child abuse the same way the CC did.

That is not true at all. Individuals did not other institutes and not in the same magnitude.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Did you know that the Pope has inmunity?

Yep it's ridiculous.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010