Anyone have big age differences in their kids?? Like 10 years or more??

Just wondering what it is like. I would love to add another to our family. Just wondering what other families experiances are. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Not children but did come from a family that had the last two 10 years apart. The last one grew up in her youth just like one would as "an only child". Spoiled, but independent. Huge difference. She sees me more like an aunt than a sis. (15 years apart).
    Anais426

Answer by Anais426 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have 4 boys-21, 19, 14, 11------There are defnitely plusses anddrawbacks. The number one thing to remember is to never let the older child(ren) thik it is their job to raise the younger ones, whie letting them help and be there for them at the same time. I say GO FOR IT! Just make sure that you look at the other reasons for wanting another child much more than the age difference. Good Luck and God Bless!
    gurka1967

Answer by gurka1967 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My father and my aunt are 17 years apart in age. I'm only 3 1/2 years younger than my aunt. Growing up we were more like siblings than she was with me Dad and her other siblings. She was also the most spoiled of my grandmother's 5 children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• my husband was 17 when his little sis was born (she was 3 mo old when we started dating) so she is like my little sis too :) She will be 15 in a few months and she too was pretty much raised like an only child.....she is very mature (2nd grade she was reading on a 10th grade level) smart, and an overall good kid. I don't think our family would be complete w/o her. On a funny note, when my husband & I were dating ....we would sometimes take her with us (she was like 2 and 3years old) and we would get the dirtiest looks from other people b/c others assumed she was ours .....lol or they would look at my hand for a ring. We laugh about that now.
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have an 18yo (in a few weeks), 16yo, 8yo, & a 6yo. I would not change it for the world. It comes with different issues such as teen drama, learning to drive, then switching gears to teach the younger two to swim, ride bikes or setting up play dates. It is definitely like having almost 2 families. As far as the kids they go through stages of all getting along to only liking a specific siblings for a phase (although I see this in families that are all close in age to families with large age groups) Any specific questions feel free to pm. =)

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I am 21 , my bro is 18, and my lil bro is 3... We love our lil brother, we cant really imagine it without him, but we dont all live together anymore, so my lil bro right now is raised pretty much like an only child, but we do see him alot, and I treat him just like I would with my other brother lol.
    Anonymous

• I'm 23, have a 17yo brother, a 12 and an 8 yo sister, and now, a brother at 8mos old. My DS will be 1 on Saturday, and I have to admit, it is a little weird to think that I'll be 42 when my little brother graduates High School, but really it's not too bad... I mean, there's no grudges or anything, lol.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have a 15 year old son, 7 year old daughter and a 4 1/2 year old son. They are very close. I thought with the huge age gap that they wouldn't fight, but they do. The 2 boys are especially close.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have a 16 year old son and a 6 1/2 month old daughter. My son was just a couple of months off of his 16th birthday when she was born. I worked out great because he's very helpful, he got his time to be spoiled and to be the only child, she absolutely adores her big brother and likewise for him. Unfortunately for her when she becomes a teenager it will be like having two daddys. Like to see the boys want to try to date her with that! LOL! I also feel that there is not the jealousy problem there is when you have children close together. But I can't say for sure because I only have two and they are almost 16 years apart. I think if I wasn't too old to wait another 16 years before having another on, I would do it. Unfortunately, I'm 35 years old and we do want another one, so we're going to have to hop to it soon.
    bskelly

Answer by bskelly at 12:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My son is ten years younger than my daughters. I found that after thinking I wasn't going to have any more kids, (I was 39) I was blessed with another one, and at first the thought of starting all over again was frighting! but after I had him, it made me feel young again and I had the experience of the other two which made me a more laid back mom. I took things in stride, I was more relaxed and throroughly enjoyed the experience! much more so than we I had my girls in my twenties.

Answer by older at 12:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2010