My 13 year old daughter.. UGH!!!

I know this is going to sound awful but I just dont like being around her. She is so moody, negative and has to argue about everything. It is really exhausting!!! I want that close mother daughter relationship back. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• This sounds perfectly normal. Unfortunately you'll have to wait it out. The close relationship comes back eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I can relate... We have a 13 yr old son and he's a crab half the time and the other half he drives me nuts! I think it comes with the territory... I try to have a sense of humor about things, but other times I just tell him to SHUTUP.. I know that sounds harsh, but he even drives our other 2 boys crazy... I keep telling me this too will pass. Just wish it would hurry up!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• me...*myself
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• She's 13 years old so she's at that moody puberty age....lol. Just stay positive and try to keep the lines of communication open with her let her know that you understand her body is changing and you understand why she is so moody and negative, but you won't tolerate any disrespect from her.

If she needs some alone time in her room until she can come out and be nice, then you respect that as well. Find some common ground where both of you are happy and you can get through the teenage years with out strangling her lol.......
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Sounds like she's becoming a woman! I'm sure you weren't a joy to be around when you were 13....I know I wasn't. My step-mom actually told me that she would send me to my mom's for one week a month if I was going to continue that attitude.

Also, just because she is that way doesn't mean you can't have that relationship. Just give her space. Don't you remember being a young girl? I'm sure your mom hovering over you constantly asking what was wrong or challenging your attitude didn't make you happy....just let her know you are there when/if she needs to talk, but just give her space...
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 11:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I find myself getting mean and ugly back at her when my 13 yo dd acts like this, so I have started sending her to her room to give us both a break. Also, if she is being particularly aggravating I will go somewhere without her, preferably someplace she would want to go so she suffers a consequence for her bad attitude. I refuse to let her drag me down, and I refuse to reward her nasty attitude, but at the same time I'm not giving up on her and I'm not going to let our relationship turn ugly. When she's pleasant I take her places with me and we enjoy it much more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I feel the same way about my 14 year old son sometimes. And I agree that it is very exhausting! Sometimes I tell myself to think about the times when he has made me so proud because there are more of those moments than the negative ones in general.. But lately it is getting much more difficul to do-the direspect-the I will do what I want to attitude-and my personal favorite, if you bust my butt I will call social services. Just know that you are not alone and these feelings are normal. Maybe knowing that and talking to others on cafemom will help-contact me anytie-maybe we can help each oher out
    gurka1967

Answer by gurka1967 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Patience is a virtue. You are the parent and you should understand hormones. She can't help how she is right now, no more than you caan when PMS strikes and everything drives you batty.
    Anonymous

• My husband and our 14 year old are at this point. We are trying family counseling, before I kill both of them

Answer by rkoloms at 3:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Tell her how you feel. BUT remember that she's a pubety ridden teenager that's trying to figure out where she fits in this world. Give her time. When you feel frustrated, step back, take a breath, and give you both a chance to cool off. In my family, it did get better. My daughter is now 15 and is human again. My oldest sons are 20 (twins) are have lost their horns and the giant chips on their shoulders. My youngest son is 12 and is just starting to grow the puberty horns and tail. :oD
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010