How do I go about adopting?

I've always been interested in adoption. I would like to adopt a little girl from somewhere in Asia in a few years. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about it and how to prepare myself for our future addition to the family?

AirForceWife14

Asked by AirForceWife14 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Adoption

• 1.) read a ton of books about adoption, adoption loss, talk to adoptees, first moms, and adoptive parents. Learn all that you can about adoption in general.

2.) Decide which country program you are interested in.... learn about that country and its culture so that you can help teach your child about it as she ages.

3.) Research agencies and processes

I'm an adoptive mother to a little girl from China. We met her 3 years ago this past weekend. Our process was a little over 2 years from beginning to end.. the wait is now 4 years from the time your dossier is accepted in China for NSN..and over a year for most SN dossiers. Many programs are lengthening or restructuring....let me know if you have any specific questions that I could possibly help you with.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• go to adoptionnetwork.com-this website should be very helpful-Good Luck
    gurka1967

Answer by gurka1967 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Please send me a PM for more info.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 6:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Try reading "The Adoption Resouce Book" by Lois Gilman. Lots of information to get you started. It also includes suggestions on other books to read.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2010