Since this has been brought up about the Pope and sexual abuse....

A very good statement: "These evil acts should have NEVER been handled within the Vatican or even local Parish, they should have been turned over to the police immediately." So true. Not a bash against general Catholic population.

Wouldn't you consider the priests to be criminals? Where are they? It's the Popes business to know what is going on in his establishment. Does this link the Pope to criminal activity making him a criminal too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Normally it would if they can proof that he knew all along beyond a reasonable doubt, but I don't think anyone is going to prosecute the Pope.

Answer by older at 12:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/newsite/new.php?n=4924
    Yeah, just as I thought he is inmune!!! This explains a lot.

Answer by older at 12:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Wouldn't you consider the priests to be criminals?
    Yes any one who knew or did the acts. The ones who hid it are just as guilty as the ones who did it.
    Where are they?
    Either placed in another location secretly or hidden with in Vatican walls.
    It's the Popes business to know what is going on in his establishment. Does this link the Pope to criminal activity making him a criminal too?
    Yes actually there is no way the pope did not know otherwise he would not be protecting them. That makes him just as guilty!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yeah, just as I thought he is inmune!!! This explains a lot.

Yeah it's Vatican law.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• *head desk* You have to remember too that when the majority of these cases happened, things were handled very, very differently than they are now. So, while we would of course report it to the police immediately nowadays (and it is required by our diocese that the police are contact first, before anyone else is contacted), that was not the case in the past. Please try to put things in perspective.

Now, do I thinkg they should locate and hand over the priests who are guilty? Yes. But again, I would think it takes some time to locate them and then to verify that they have the correct person to hand over. You may think it's a simple thing, but I can see how it may be more complicated than it looks. The hierarchy is just like government bureaucracy you have to go through a lot of stuff to get to the info you really need. Just trying to put a real perspective on all of this, rather than a purely emotional one.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Also, does the president of the US know exactly what is going on in every state at all times? Or does he have people under him who take care of mundane tasks, and then report to him the things of importance? How is the pope any different then? I am not saying he is innocent here. He needs to address the issue before it gets any worse than it already is. However, how do we know he is not working on it? Just because he isn't organizing press conferences and talking about it, doesn't mean that something isn't being done. Idk, I can't say either way, so I'm not going to criticize or praise him. I will wait and see how he handles things and hope and pray the right thing is done.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Also, does the president of the US know exactly what is going on in every state at all times?

That's a little different all priests have to report to the pope. Also the pope keeps very close track of every priest he has more information on all of his priests than our president does on us.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Oh ya our president also doesn't protect or hide us from paying legally for crimes.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Pope Benedict has not be Pope for long .. why is he the one to blame for this when many of these acts happened under other Popes?
    I too bang my head on the desk because you need to see the fuller picture and we do not know what that is . The Vatican is its own "country" and handle things according to their law. I mean all this complaining about the catholic church when we have abuse going on in our own cities and all over the world! Amazing how we just pick one place and forget that its not the only place abuse is happening.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• That wasn't exactly my point hot-mama. I hate talking to you, you are way too thick to use any bit if common sense. Do you even realize how huge the Catholic Church is? It is INTERNATIONAL! The pope oversees the Church, but the day to day tasks are carried out by everyone else, and the important things are reported to him. So let me get this straight. I the pope's office he has a file in his desk drawer of every since priest in the world? Uh... yeah I think it's a bit more complicated than that. How do you know so much about Church hierarchy anyway? You don't, do you? You are simply guessing. I suggest you talk to someone like eringobraugh and ask her more about it. She is very good at explaining things about the Catholic Church, and she can shed so light on it for you. That is... IF you are willing to open your mind and actually listen.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2010