3 month old breath holder..will baby signing help?

Ive got a 3 month old who is a breath holder. He has had terrible (scary stuff) He has spells in which he turns completly purple when he is upset. my husband was a breath holder as a kid and so was his sister. I was hoping that teaching him ASL would help him out with this. He has other problems related to high bloodpressure so it is very important to keep him calm at all times. Have any of the caffe moms out there used sign language with their infants (before 6 months) and do you think it could help my little boy have less spells and frustration even though he cant sign back yet?

kiwigoddess

Asked by kiwigoddess at 12:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How would baby signs help at 3 months??? Usually when people talk about 'breath holder' they mean children that do it to get their way. That would be a toddler. A 3 month old does not have the cognitive (brain) development to manipulate.

You need to get your baby to the doctor right away. I suggest taking the baby to the ER of a major children's hospital. Your baby may have a heart problem, sleep apnea, or some other problem that could be deadly. Don't ignore your baby turning blue again! If your baby turns blue call 911. 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Oh yes. and he'll be able to sign back soon! studies have shown that babies as young as 6 months old can sign to their hearing impaired parents when signing starts from birth.
    So start signing now and soon he'll be able to sign before he can even talk. And it's good for his communication and vocabulary skills for when he does learn to talk.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Gaill
    he is probably not doing it with intent to manipulate. But he could very well be doing it out of frustration, which is why baby signs would help.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You can start the signing now,of course he won't be able to sign back for awhile but he will begin to understand what the motions mean (plus its good lractice for you) just as he begins to understand what words mean. I started a few simple signs with my daughter when she was that young. It was mostly for fun but she caught on.
    That would be scary to have a breath holder.Whatever ideas you have that might help him, try, it can't hurt.Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You can start signing now, but mine never showed any evidence of understanding until at least 6 months. Signing does help when they are in the 2nd half of the first year when they have definite wants, but no words to let you know and after that when they want things they don't yet know how to say. But you should always use words along with signs

Answer by missanc at 12:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• People, this is a 3 month old baby that is turning blue! This baby needs evaluated and not taught signs. Breath holding spells are almost always in toddlers and young children and not before 6 months.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• um *points to above poster* I understand your enthusiasum and concern. And i can assure you that he has no other problems medicaly other then his bloodpressure. his recent EEG and EKg were both normal, and he has no signs of sesures or seisure like activity. He has his fits as a reaction to pain mostly, he is too young to do it on purpose. Its mostly just scary for us. It never comes out of nowhere always when he is in distress, he doesnt pass out or go limp, and he is always perfectly fine afterwards.
    he see's a regular neonatal neurologist and nefrologist and neither are concerned. they see this kind of thing all the time. and yes its rare but it does happen at this young an age.

Back to the topic...
    does anyone have a good tip on where to start..I'm afaid I havent used ASL myself since I was 7, and I have to learn it to teach it. are there simpler signs availible for babies?
    kiwigoddess

Answer by kiwigoddess at 2:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You can go to the library and get baby signing books. I still get the hard paged books for my daughter, they have vibrant pictures that gives an illustration for the sign. And they also have a giant resource book for the adults teaching baby sign to thier babies.I would start there before buying a book. Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2010