Hi--I have 3 children. My last is almost 4months and I can not get her on the bottle from the breast. I bought 4 different kinds of bottles and still nothing. I breast fed my other 2 and is was nothing like this. She screams the minute the bottle hits her lips. I need help--any suggestions

children17

Asked by children17 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep breastfeeding-it's what's best for her and it's obviously what she wants.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 12:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I agree! Some babies won't take the bottle no matter what you try.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I had this same problem, only my baby was bottle/BF for the first 2mos. all of a sudden he wanted to be breastfed only that was what he chose. Here I am today still BFing him He is 9mos now. So if breastfeeding is what your daughter chooses to do than let her do what she wants.
    Anonymous

• All babies are different. A lot of them won't even consider taking the bottle when the real thing is right there. If it's important to introduce the bottle because you will need to be away from the baby, try having dad or grandma give the bottle instead while you are out of sight, smell and earshot of the baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If you really need to give expressed milk so you can get a little time alone or whatever then try a sippy cup. My doctor suggested that at around 4 months since my oldest wanted nothing to do with bottles. Obviously he had help holding it, but he would take that just fine. I would also suggest maybe trying someone else giving the bottle instead of you.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If you really need to be separated from baby there are other options: cup spoon, oral syringe etc. I know lots of people whose babies would never take a bottle and they just worked around it. One had baby brought to her to nurse at work. I deal with it by never being away from baby for more than an hour or two.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• whats the temp of the bottle? with my boy if the bottle is colder then the breast he wont take it.
    kiwigoddess

Answer by kiwigoddess at 1:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• She may never take it from YOU. If you need this only so you can get our once in a while, then hand her over to the sitter and get the heck outta dodge. Babies often will do things for others that they will NEVER do for us. Sort of like our older kids who will never wash dishes at home but will do it for their best friend's mom.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Good luck. I tried every bottle imaginable with my son and he never took ONE. He even refused soft spout cups when he got older lol. (I tried to give him pumped milk.) I tried having other people give him bottles. I also tried LEAVING THE HOUSE and having people feed him. Just never worked...
    calebsmama713

Answer by calebsmama713 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010