13 month old.I have her down to 2 bottles of milk a day.One at nap and one before bed.How can I get her weaned from them completely?What did you do?

Hi! I'm interested in hearing what you did to help wean your child completly from the bottle? I made the mistake of giving her a bottle to fall asleep when she was younger because she would cry and cry and it was seriously the only thing that would help her fall asleep. I know, horrible but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do,lol. My son was easy. I had him off the bottle at 12 months on the nose.No big deal. But this girl, oh boy.She won't fall asleep without it. She refuses to lay down with a sippy cup in its place as a temporary sub.Yes, I even got one with a soft tip,lol.Its only 2 flipping bottles.And I don't know how to get her to stop! Do you think maybe if I tried putting water in the bottle instead if that would work?I think she'd just throw it at me and scream her little head off,lol.
Any ideas, suggestions ladies?
Thanks in advance! :)
Have a great day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd definitely try watering down the milk if you can't get her to just give it up. Admittedly, my son didn't give them up until 15 months at which point he just lost interest. You do need to be concerned about the risk of damaging the teeth so keep working on it. We got rid of the naptime bottle first then the evening bottle. It was easier for us since he never had it in his crib. We'd give it to him downstairs then bring him up to bed. If you try that and brush her teeth in between, you eliminate the risk to the teeth.. It also breaks the association between bottle and falling asleep..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• wow. ...you gotta risk bottle rot? you gotta risk the chocking hazard? ...you just have to, huh?

...in any case. just take the nap bottle away. ...then once she gets over that take the bed time bottle away. ...yea she's gonna cry and freak out and have tantrums ...probably for 3 days to a week. ...but then she'll get over it.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried other ways to calm her down before bedtime? Rocking, playing music, etc...? We just had to bite the bullet with my son to get the bottle away. He didn't have it in the crib he had it just before bed while we rocked him. We started giving it to him while he was still awake and playing then doing the rest of our routine normally just without the bottle. So bottle at 7:30-8:00 then between 8:00 & 9:00 we'd get him all ready for bed and rock him for a few minutes before laying him down. Now we are switching to cups with straws and he is doing pretty well thank goodness! Good luck momma
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 12:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Oh please, don't lecture me ma'am. I'm a 33 year old grown woman.I know what is okay for my own children.Her teeth are fine and beutiful.ANd I don't agree with the choking hazard, she's old enough to roll over if there is a problem.Besides that fact,I have a tv monitor to watch her.She drinks the bottles within 5 minutes, falls asleep, I go in and take the bottle out of her crib.
    I knew I shouldnt have asked something like this here.All I would get is more grief than help.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, we've done the rocking thing. We have a glider in her bedroom. Thats actually something we really enjoy doing, especially her daddy , he likes to spend the cuddle time with her. But she ends up wanting the bottle anyway.
    Anonymous

• Give her a sippy and listen to the cries. She will get over it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I agree with Bradenismyson, that is what we did with my son and he was over it in 2 days. And yes it will start affecting her teeth if you don't stop giving her a bottle, have you been to the dentist with her because they will tell you the same thing.
    Anonymous

• i had the same problem with my daughter. She loved her bottle in her crib before naps/bed and I started the process by giving it to her out of the crib and then I took away the nap bottle and then once she was good with that which took a few days I moved on to the night bottle. It was a stressful process but well worth it when she was bottle free.
    pattimak

Answer by pattimak at 1:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No clue, sorry. I let my kids have their bottles until THEY are ready to give it up. My oldest used his bottle for milk until he was 2.5 years old. So he would get one in the morning and one at night before bed. My youngest is 15 months old and still uses his bottle for milk in the morning and for water during nap and bed time. I see no point in forcing a baby off the bottle. Sippys are the same as bottles.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'm there with ya! My son likes his milk in a bottle first thing in the a.m. and after his bath. I've put milk in sippy cups, and he'll drink it, but he just loves the comfort of that silly bottle. He drinks everything else out of cups. I used to stress big time about him giving it to him, and the ped suggested we do it cold turkey over a weekend when there aren't any other major changes going on. Wishing you luck along with us, which ever way you do it!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 3:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010