Why are there so many boxes for other "races" but only one box for whites?

If you're African American check this box.
If you're Pacific Islander check this box ...oh and then please specify what kind of Pacific Islander by checking one of these boxes.
If you're Asian please check this box ...and (sometimes) please specify what kind of Asian by checking one of these other boxes.

But if you're white we don't care if you're Australian or German or Irish or any of the others. ...you're just white.

And what about those (most of us) who are more then one. Why does everyone have to fit in a box? For those of us who are in the USA shouldn't we all just be American! Shouldn't grants, and funding and all of those statistics be based off of our talents and the education we receive and NOT the tone of our skin? ...wouldn't that be real equality?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I just check 'other' and write in 'human'. That is really the only race that matters IMO.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It really makes it seem like if you're any color other than white, they care all about your genealogy, but if you're white....well, you're just white.

And you can't really name everyone as American, despite the fact that that is exactly how it should read out. If you try to label anyone as just American, they get all huffy. "No, I'm not American, I'm German/Greek/Italian, etc etc". Sorry, if you were born in America, you're an American, and no one cares about your pedigree.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 12:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I was all mixed up over this, too, because "hispanic" is not a "race". I was like, OK, so WTH am I supposed to mark for hispanic?? I wish someone had told me then that I didn't have to mark those boxes at all, that I could have just stated how many were in my household and left it at that. I did end up writing in "American." Leave them blank, I say!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I just wrote in american. I didn't check a box.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• This bothered me, too. White is a color, not a race. And my ancestors immigrated so long ago, that I really don't want to be a German/English/French/Irish-American. I just want to be American. Why can't the government just call me an American?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• if you really want to get real about races.. there is only one. we just have different colors due to pigments.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Whites are the ultimate evil. I have 3 students who are of mixed race. They check African-American as ethnicity. They aren't allowed or even provided an opportunity to identify with the caucasian side of their parentage. Why is that? Why has white become the "bad" race, yet we are the ones accused of being racist?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• There is only one race.

I've decided that I will no longer call myself a color (white) or call myself an ethnicity that does not reflect me (Caucasian). I was born in the United States of America. My parents were born here. All of my grandparents were born here. And all of my great-grand parents were born here. I'm an American. Yes, that's a nationality, but as long as we are going to catagorize people, I want to be catagorized this way.

Yes, I listed my family as American on my census form.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Amen!
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Good thought. I've never quite thought of it that way but I have thought about it. I don't know why it is the way it is. Maybe over time it will change.Becasue really, Americans are the product of a melting pot and I think were creating our own race just by all the mixing of races that we do.So there should be a box to check for American.
    Anonymous