What defines a "natural" birth?

Does it just mean vaginally? With/ without drugs of any kind? Can it be natural even if you are induced? I have my own interpretation, but I'm just trying to get a good understanding of what the majority define it as.

I just want to know what YOU think, not what you think of SOMEONE ELSE! I will delete if this turns ugly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Everyone has their own interpretation.
    Mine is vaginally, without the use of any medication. Inductions without the use of medication are borderline and depend on the situation.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Your general definition for natural is going to be no medical interventions at all...no drugs, no induction, nada.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 12:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I say I had three natural deliveries even though I had a shot of a painkiller with one and pitocin with another.For the third birth I had no medication at all. For me it has more to do with a vaginal birth without too many interventions.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• What I had with all 3 of ours... No drugs, vaginally.... Go through everything without any help, except for the Dr's, nurses, and family there to root you on!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• When I hear "natural child birth" I think vaginal birth with no drugs or interventions.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• a natural birth is when the baby is allowed to be birthed without any intervention. This includes epidural, any narcotics, pitocin, or any other means of medical intervention during birth. On a side note, most women do get an epidural during an induction because the contractions are so painful.
    LilynAustin

Answer by LilynAustin at 12:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I don't think natural birth is any one thing but that there is a spectrum, from a very medicalized, fully sedated elective C-section on one side, to a very natural unassisted home birth on the other. I would still consider a vaginal birth with some non-intrusive interventions a natural birth. I think that intrusive interventions and medications make it a less natural birth.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I think vaginally, no pain meds and you went into labor on your own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I could see how that makes sense Riotgrrl.
    Anonymous

• Everyone has their own thoughts on this and they all differ. In my circle of friends natural means you went into labor with no help, had no pain meds or epi and delivered vaginally. That is exactly what I did, but when I tell other people about my births I say an intervention free vaginal birth and not just natural because of the different interpretations. It is kind of difficult to misinterpret an intervention free vaginal birth.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010