Suggestions... traveling with an 18month old

Hi out there. We will be traveling on an airplane (2.5hr flight) with my 18 month old. We are bringing his carseat and a portable DVD player. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions from experience. Please no horror stories... i am already worried enough about the flight!!

BLB329

Asked by BLB329 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take a bag back w/snaks his favorite toys & a blanket. its better if u take the night flight that way hell sleep all the way. good luck i think hes going to be just fine.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 12:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Bring plenty of snacks, and some of their favorite toys. The movie doesn't always keep them busy.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I've travelled with my 8 month old daughter three times alone on flights (round trip so make that six flights) as alap baby. I was travelling for work but decided to take her to see family/friends. Any way.......she loves a piece of paper and big crayons. That will entertain her for at least an hour. Then walks up and down the aisle (if they permit it - and they should) is another good time killer. And I agree, lots of little snacks (so they don't get full fast and have to take time to eat more) and a few other toys. I'd recommend against their favorites but get them small new items that they can explore for the first time. Good luck - you'll find it isn't a bad experience at all!
    mom2aab924

Answer by mom2aab924 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I take lots of little toys/books and just put the tray table down and let her play. I also sit all the way at the back of the plane so we can stand if necessary and we're close to the bathroom. The flight attendants are right there as well and are usually very helpful if you need something. I had drinks and snacks ready to go so there was no delay if my daughter got cranky.

My boss has twin toddlers, and she bought earplugs for everyone around them on the plane. It was a pretty funny icebreaker and all the people around them were very patient and kind on a long flight.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Please don't worry. I just took a flight with my 18 month old daughter as a lap child and she was great! She didn't really like watching the first take off - but all she did was crawl fom my lap next to the window to her Dad's to get farther away. Snacks are good and toys. Get them one or two new toys and hide them away until the flight. Something newcan be far more distracting. If your little one likes to be read to a new book too. Also just let them do things like lay with the safety card as something new and "special". I also put some kids songs on my iPod and got a headphone splitter, she wasn't really interested but it's another idea. We also just did the same things we always do - sing songs quietly and ask her to show me where her nose is, etc. Again, don't panic and all we be fine.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 3:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have flown many times on planes with children and you would never have known they were there. I think the only part that I worry about is the ear popping from take off and landing. Get some chewy snack in there and hopefully there won't be any discomfort. Honestly, I have never had a bad experience with a child on a plane. I think the build up is so exciting most of them fall asleep once it starts (the white noise of the airplane engines helps too :)
    Good luck! You guys will do fine!
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 3:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Oh my!! Everyone has been so nice, supportive and helpful. Thank so much. My fears are being subsided! I loved all the ideas.
    BLB329

Answer by BLB329 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My girlfriend is a flight attendant, and has a little girl herself. She mentioned pretty much all of the above, and also says that small suckers/lolly pops are great for a child to suck on during landing/takeoff (for ears). DVD player, new small toys, things to color with -- all great. Be sure to check the airlines baggage allowances for travelling with a baby/toddler.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2010