Do you mommies think you could...

Take 10 hours a week and study some online courses with a newborn? I am going to take some classes online this summer and I am nervous about it because the baby will be here and I will still have a few weeks left... It has been 3 years since I have had a newborn so I don't remember alot of the sleeplessness, but could you handle 10 hours a week? How old is your baby?
P.S. I am due July 22, but I will have to have a c section around the 10th or so. And my classes wont end until then end of July. Thanks! Oh and I also have a 3 year old.

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would try less hours at first and then see if you can handle more later on.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah. Newborns are SO easy. They sleep WAY more than any toddler I know lol...you'll be able to do it if you set your mind to it. If you put your three year old down for a nap and take that 1-2hours a day...you'll do fine. Don't worry.
    Anonymous

• You should do fine. I used to teach online courses as well as being an online student. Online allows you the ease of doing the work on your time without the constraints of being in class at a specific time. If you find it hard to work when the kids are awake, then do your school work when they are sleeping or napping. Congrats on the newborn and good luck with your schooling.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 12:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes, do it while they are newborns! SO much easier than with a 2 year old lol! Toddlers are running everywhere. As newborns, my kids slept quite a bit, then would eat and would be perfectly content sitting in their swing/bouncer chair beside me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes! I started my Master's degree online when my son was 3 months old. They don't do much, so I could sit there and hold him and read. It took 2 years.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I had 2 kids when I started college. When I graduated I had 4. So I was prego most of the time.  I did online and on campus classes. They weren't c sections though. But I think doing online would be much easier with the c section. You can get comfortable and even study in bed. Plus you can stop when the baby cries and go back to it when he stops.  You don't have to worry about your milk leaking in the middle of class either.  10 hours a week is only 2 hours a day for 5 days.  It was actually pretty easy. The babies gave me less trouble than the older ones. I'd do it now and get it done with before he learns to say moooooooommmmmmmm! lol

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If it's online courses, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what school you're going through, but I went for awhile with Univ. of Phoenix, and you didn't have to be in class at a certain time, pretty much whenever you had the time, but you had to have the work in by a certain day and time. Now with that in mind, yes you could definitely do it with a newborn. Newborns sleep a LOT and you could use baby's nap time to get your school work done. :)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2010