sleeping on your back? Sex on your back? Bad?

I saw the question about sleeping on your tummy and that is not my problem. I am four months along and I was told that I should not sleep on my back due to decreased blood flow to the baby. But I wake up all night long and I am sleeping on my back. How serious is this? Also, my Dh and I have been trying to play around while i'm on my back simply because it won't be an option soon. Is this bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no. don't worry too much. I've had two kids, and I slept on my back..it's fine..you move around so much in your sleep that it's fine....and playing on your back...thats fine too....don't worry about it, you'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• i had the same question! lol I am 23 weeks and I find myself on my back at night because laying on my side hurts my hips real bad!

same thing with the sex... I have noticed after sex the next day my tummy feels heavy and I think it's just the muscels being sore after a workout they don't get often at all..lol
    Anonymous

• Sleeping on your back is a big deal after 25 weeks (some drs say 20 weeks) and it is a bad thing. It put pressure on the main artery that supplies blood and oxygen to the baby. It is such a big deal that while in labor at the hospital, nurses wedged pillows under one side so I wasn't flat on my back. The fetal monitor showed the baby's heart rate dropped every time I was on my back.

Sex on your back isn't a big deal because you aren't on your back that long (unless your DH is a marathon lover).

I'm not saying that some women haven't delivered perfectly normal babies after sleeping on their backs, but I am saying all the research and my dr say don't do it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• why won't you be able to have sex on your back. i'm 7 months and hubby and i still to all the positions we did before i got pregnant. and yes i do have the round hard belly...i also still sleep on my stomach
    Anonymous

• lying on your back may hurt as the baby gets bigger.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 1:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2010