It may sound odd but, how do you kick the children out of the nest?

Because we care for them, there's this need to keep them wanting us, even though we know the best thing is to let them fly with their own wings. Any comments?

GMMOLLY

Asked by GMMOLLY at 1:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• How do you get them to leave? After they have been given the opprotunity to continue their education at a secondary institution such as community college, university, or tech school.....give them a list of ulitmatiums.....they MUST work, their car expenses are theirs, their cell phone bill is theirs, they must do their own laundry, do their own dishes, etc. Then give them a list of costs of living there, rent for the room and utility for water, gas, electric, phone, computer, cable/dish etc. If they don't like it, then direct them to the nearest grocery or liquer store for boxes and tell them they are more than welcome to move.

As long as they are contributing to the household, doing their end of the chores etc.....then there is no reason to kick them out, BUT you have to remember to treat them like renters not your children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• charge them rent?
    Anonymous

• I love it, best answer so far.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 1:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• There is a need to keep them wanting us? I don't think we should foster a need to keep our adult children wanting to live with us, being depending on us, or not being competent enough to live on their own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• my older sister is 30 and still lives at home. She just waste's her life away, never growing as a person. She's like an eternal high school student. She has a bachelors, but dropped out before she finished her masters. She has no drive to do anything except hang out with her old high school friends who she complains about. she says they never have time for her, because they have kids and family's. My parents do everything for her, because they feel guilty they weren't able to pay for her school. (they didn't pay for anyones) She's smart but I just want to shake her.

If you care about your kids, don't let them waste their lives away being taken care of.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I am sorry, I have a 31 and a 22 living back at home after graduating from the University. I do not beleive I am holding them back in any way shape or form. My 31 year old was living on her own for years and then the economy happened and she needed help and we gave it to her, this why we are here for. They are free to go when they feel they are ready. My 22 year old a very recent graduate, just recently got a job with a local tv station and is working the local news, they are both welcome to stay as along as they want, even if this means forever. My house will always welcome my kids and there is no age limit or conditions. They pay their own way, I do not need to provide them with anything, although I love to go out of my way to help them in any way I can.
    I do not charge them rent or expect anything in return, just their gratitude and respect, and love which I get on a regular basis.

Answer by older at 1:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My SIL just told her kids straight out now that you're18 you need to move out. She never gave them a chance to finish high school.
    Anonymous

• Hand them a lease for their rooms

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010