Seriously...are fast food restaurants going too far now?

(CNN) -- In the midst of first lady Michelle Obama's campaign against child obesity and chef Jamie Oliver's prime-time TV initiative for cleaner cooking, a chicken chain is crowing about some aggressively fat-laden fare.
KFC's long-rumored Double Down waddles into stores on April 12, boasting an ingredient list that prompted a copywriters' caveat on the product's Web page that it is "Real! No fooling."
The bun-free ("so meaty, there's no room") sandwich features two pieces of bacon, two slices of melted cheese and "Colonel's Sauce" - which KFC officials said is a "zesty mayonnaise" -- slathered between two chicken filets, either original recipe (540 calories and 32 fat grams per KFC.com) or the slightly slimmer grilled version (460 calories and 23 fat grams).

This is just one (and definitely not the worst!) of the outrageously unhealthy foods fast food restaurants are adding to their menus. CONT

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The description that the original poster typed up here was revolting enough. Then, for some masochistic reason, I just HAD to find a picture of this thing. Even my dyed-in-the-wool carnivorous brother was disgusted. Just one question KFC....WHY??
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 2:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I just read this on CNN and the picture of the KFC new dish looks low carb diet friendly! LOL

All kidding aside, I think people need to take to personal responsibility on their food choices.
    Anonymous

• Not only sounds nasty, but imagine the time spent in the bathroom after a meal like that. Ughh.
    Anonymous

• I think it's all about personal choices.

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If you use the fast food industry as your only source of nourishment, you are going to be unhealthy. If you only eat there occasionally, but you are responsible for making healthy, well-balanced meals, what is the big deal. I go shopping, buy food, and cook our meals. We don't eat fast food because it is too expensive, too much the same as the next, and not that good. When we do eat out, it is because we are usually traveling, and it is convenient. We don't choose fast food as our treat. I'll go to a diner or something where the food is good and cheaper.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• That sounds narsty. Men would probably go for it. Personally, I hate fast food. I don't eat out often. If I do it's something off the dollar menus because those are usually smaller portions. I just don't see how people could eat that crap every day.  BUT if they do it's their fault when their heart explodes.  It's not the restaurants fault.  They are just giving people what they want.  You can choose to eat it or not.  People need to be responsible for their choices and stop trying to blame everyone else.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Sorry I was trying to post the link but my computer messed up lol. Here's the link

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/07/fast.food.calories/index.html?hpt=C2

I understand that its our choice to eat at fast food restaurants but seriously??? Why would they not lean toward making HEALTHIER but still tasty options? Why go the complete opposite direction?

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We only go out for fast food maybe twice a month if that, but when we do I try to have my kids buy "healthier" versions, like the grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo, or the whopper junior with no mayo, apple dippers instead of fries, stuff like that. But honestly restaurant meals are even worse for you than fast food. We normally only go out to top-notch restaurants so I can order the food to my specifications and trust it's done properly. The rest of the time, I cook a low fat, low sodium, no dairy diet at home. Well, the rest of the family gets low-fat dairy, I just can't have any :( but we do eat extremely healthy compared to every other family I personally know. I just don't know why fast food chains seem to be making it HARDER to get healthy food than easier.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• They have this because people will buy it. They tried it out in certain markets and apparently did well enough to put it out there nationwide. It looks absolutely disgusting, but KFC is a business. They are a for-profit organization and will put out there whatever makes them rich. I believe in capitalism so I don't think they're evil for doing this. Its up to the consumer to be educated and not buy this garbage. Its like they say in Food Inc, you vote with your fork. If you don't like this stuff, don't buy it! It'll go away!
    Anonymous

• Sorry you ladies will miss out on what looks like a great sandwich minus the mayo stuff. I'll admit it. I'm a junk food junkie and l love the grease and all. Yes I eat healthy part of the time and so do my family but there's no reason anyone can't enjoy a bit of grease, sugar, etc
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010