is it legal to teach toddlers to cuss?

My ex husband and I share custody of our 2yr old. Lately every time she comes home from his place she is saying "son of a b****" "f*** you" and awful things like that. I've talked to him about it a few times and he just laughed and said it doesn't hurt anyone if she picks up those things from him. Its really making me sick. Is there anything legally I can do to stop this? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• How could it be illegal. It seems like 99%+ parents swear. I've only known one other parent that never swears.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It's not illegal but if you're concerned about the welfare of your daughter you could build up a case against him...you would just need more than cussing.
    Anonymous

• It's not illegal. Just immoral and inappropriate.
    Anonymous

• No, its not illegal, you can teach your children to say anything you want. But is it right? No its not at all. Good Luck with that one, you can't rally control what goes on in someone elses house. But you can try to talk to him ,maybe he will listen.Tell him you don't want her to end up getting into the habit f saying that stuff and when she goes to school, she would get in big trouble for cursing there, maybe even kicked out or suspended or detention. Would he want to be part of that?If he doesnt agree, all you can do is try to show her the better example. It sucks, I know. I've been there. :(
    Anonymous

• It's not illegal. You can't really do anything about it unless you have other stuff against him in which you could build a case. I have to agree with everyone here...you can talk to him. But, it seems that you have done that and he finds it funny in his own way, which isn't helpful. I would say that you would have to take a stand on this in your house. Say that when the child is with you that that kind of language is not allowed and explain ways in which the child can understand that it is inappropriate language. That those kinds of words are supposed to be used by adults only. When she does go to school you can bet that if it is a problem there will be a discussion with the child and the parents and lucky you...it WILL be documented! Which, could help you down the line when you really want other things that he may think are just funny to stop. I know hun, I've been in your boat...I feel for you! Just hold in there and make
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 5:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• the rules in your house non-negotiable!
    AWomansMind