Baby Sunscreen?

hello! I live on a farm and have been taking my baby with me in one of those chest carriers to feed all of the animals. I live in Florida and the sun is getting hotter and hotter each day. It only takes me about 20 minutes to feed everyone, but I am very fair skinned and know that that is long enough to get sunburnt. So far he has been fine, but I want to start using sunscreen on him. What do you use?

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 1:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We use Neutrogena pure and free baby sunblock 60 plus, but sunscreen is only for babies 6 months and up. There is no sunscreen approved for babies younger than 6 months - throw a hat on their head or a light blanket over the top.

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• okay. Thank you! he is younger. I tried a hat, but the carrier kept pushing it off. I will try a light blanket.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• keep in mind that over the years people spend more and more time indoors, and wear more and more sunscreen when outdoors, and yet skin cancer is still on the rise. some studies suggest a link between low levels of vitamin d and skin cancer. consider the ingredients of anything you put on your baby's skin. they do make all natural sunscreens, i would be sure to wash it off after you get indoors though. try googling cosmetics without synthetics for some non chemical laden sunscreens. there is also information on that website that explain the downside of common chemicals in skin products. protective clothing is really the best way to go.
    congrats on your baby! how nice to grow up on a farm :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would use sunscreen even if he is under 6 months. That hot Florida sun is very harsh. Just get the most mild one you can find.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2010