Do you consider pizza to be a healthy food?

I do. And its something my picky girl will actually eat,lol. I like to make a pizza for her on sandwhich bread. I know everything that goes on it and I think its pretty healthy. So why does pizza have such a bad name for being unhealthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think pizza has to be unhealthy - it's all about how it's made and what you put on it. I found out a long time ago that pizza is a great place to "hide" some veggies!

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It depends on the amount and fat content of the cheese. Not to mention toppings like pepperoni, sausage, etc. You can MAKE a healthy by using flat bread, feta cheese and fresh tomatoes.
    Anonymous

• It's made from white flour and the cheese can be fake or high fat. A home made whole grain pizza made with lower fat cheese would be healthy if you think milk is healthy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It depends on where the pizza comes from. Restaurant pizza and frozen pizza are not very healthy.
    Homemade pizza, including the crust, can be very healthy. I make a partial wheat crust, with no sugar. I use real cheese. I use fresh veggies. I have no hesitations feeding my kids my homemade pizza. There's no artificial ingredients, HFCS, colors, additives or preservatives in my pizza.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the others that it depends on how it's made. It can provide whole grains, protein and veggies if done right.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I make pizza with mostly organic ingredients: whole wheat flour, lots of vegetables, very little cheese, Upton's seitan Italian sausage

Answer by rkoloms at 3:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Because the usual store bought pizza is unhealthy. They are getting better now with multigrain or whole wheat crusts and toppings like chicken and spinach instead of pepperoni and bacon. It's not unhealthy if you do it right. So who cares if people "think" it's unhealthy. You know what you give your child isn't.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 3:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I don't think it is unhealthy if you prepare it yourself and you monitor what you put in it. Delivery pizza and lots of frozen pizza can be bad for you when you eat it a lot. Making it yourself is the way to go.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 6:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I think most standard delivery pizza is crappy food. Same with frozen.

I think you can make a healthy pizza at home. Do a whole wheat crust from scratch. Don't use toppings like pepperoni, salami or other processed meats. Fresh cheese (and not dripping in cheese). Make sure there are some veggies on it (I like to use a combination of different bell peppers). That's a pretty healthy pizza.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010