what to do when your teenager steals from you

How do you deal with a teenager who steals from you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think punishment would only take you so far. When I was a teen many of my friends took money from their moms purse. I never dared. Number one I knew it was wrong and number two I knew money didn't grow on trees and my parents needed every little bit of it. Talk to your kid, before they start stealing from others.
    Anonymous

• Find out what he is using what he steals for, and explain the value and effort it takes to make a buck these days.

Answer by older at 1:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I don't know but when you fine that answer please post. thanks and good luck
    mom1T2Ldh

Answer by mom1T2Ldh at 2:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Tell him back in the day they used to chop fingers off for that kind of stuff and bring out a huge butcher knife from behind your back, lol. May scre him straight, may make him think you are slightly insane,lol.
    Anonymous

• I have many police friends, so I would arrange for them to pick him up and have a long talk. Take him to the jail and go through the process and stick his dumbass in a jail cell. You know, scare the shit out of him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Call the police and have the child arrested. Show your child that stealing isn't tolerated.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If one of my children had stolen from me (it NEVER happened, they are all adults now) they would have found out what jail was like...their bedroom would become a cell. Everything would have come out accept a matteress on the floor (to take away the comfort of a cozy bed), a thin blanket, a portable toilet in the corner, a metal locker for a few belonings, no TV, no computer and nothing else that would make being in their room fun. Screen door on the room instead of a solid door with a lock on the outside and it would be locked while they were in there. Meals brought to them. Limited social interaction with the family. I would have gotten my point across. Stealing results in jail and loss of freedom and loss of privacy.
    Anonymous

• First thing my child would get grounded. Next I would make a list of chores and put a money value to each chore. During his grounding he would have to do enough chores to make up for the money he stole. It might make him understand the value of the money. Id make the chores pretty hard too.. like cleaning the toilet, or cleaning the garage. Make sure he gets how hard it was for you to get that money in the first place.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 11:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• well, my mom inadvertently put me in jail for stealing from her purse. funny part is that she probably spent the money herself and forgot about it. i hadn't been home in days. i certainly didn't take money from her. plus, we lived in a crappy neighborhood and she left the doors of the apartment and her car unlocked all the time. who knows who took that money! but whatever, i went to jail for it and got my ass seriously, publicly beat by her for something i had no part of. i still kinda hate her for that.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 11:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Well, I would say make sure you know that it was that child first. Then, I agree with Anon :42. LOL
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 1:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2010