What is the difference between the bloody show and losing your muscus plug?

Cause when I googled it, it seemed to be the same thing however it also said that some women dont bleed when they lose there mucus plug. I posted a question about losing the plug earlier and was wondeing after you lose it when you went into labor. I know for sure I lost a little last night and then allot today, it had strips of blood in it every time I wiped and it was so thick I couldnt just wipe I had to like grab it, sorry TMI. I did however have an exam done yesterday because I was having contractions but they werent close enough togeather yet and Im dialated between a 2-3 and 60% effaced. Only 37 weeks 4 days. Can any one help me determine this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Some women have blood in the mucus plug, and some dont. I didnt have any in mine, it was clear. The "bloody show" is after you loose your mucus plug. Every woman is different, but the general idea is that if you loose your mucus plug, labor should be right around the corner. If you have a bloody show, you should go to the hospital because you are in labor or something else is wrong. I lost my mucus plug in pieces. I was 2cm and 50% for 2 weeks before I went into labor. I was 39wks 5 days when baby was born. I was induced due to elevated blood pressure. Thank goodness I didnt need any meds to control the blood pressure, my doc just wanted to get me delivered. I started to lose my mucus plug 24 hours before I got induced, and had the bloody show after I was 8cm dialated (i was at the hospital in labor when I saw the bloody show). Mucus plug doesnt determine labor, regular strong contractions do :) Good Luck! CONGRATULATIONS!!
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010