I know the psychologist say it but (autism)

My son is 5 and has adequate eye contact. Motor skills testing showed he hwas very weak in visual motor skills . He has the skills of a 3.1 year old. He flaps his hand when excited. He attemts to make friend though he can never remember a name unless he has met the person over and over but if you show him a picture he can give you specific details about when he met that person. Eh has an extremely hard time making a transition form one activity t another with out adequate warning and prefers a rough schedule.He doesn't line up toys. He try to meet people. He is to up in peoples faces though and gets worked up playing and starts to get 'grabby' and annoys people. He is impulsive and jumps into games with out asking. He refers the company of much younger children or adults. He is very very smart! He seem so normal to me 90 percent of the time and the he will flip out over some unknown thing and be screaming and stuff

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• You think it isn't? It sounds like it to me. All autistic kids are not exactly alike.My son has always had eye contact and does that thing like you mentioned with the personal space. Of course he's smart! Our autistic kids are average to above average intelligence in most cases! You may be dealing with Asperger's syndrome
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• and all I can do is put him in he room to cry it out. If we are out I panick as soon as I see a fit coming on because I know how bad it can get. He will even pull his hair and scratch his face if I don't hold his hads. Is this really Autism or is he just bad. The psychologist wouln't get it wrong right? And I can't get a second opinon Ins. won't allow it. It owuld be out of pocket and we just can't.
    Anonymous

• My son is 12 and has autism. He is extremely social!! but he doesn't know how to appropriately behave in social situations (ie getting too close to people when speaking, talking only about things that interest him, etc). Many people with autism have incredible memories, they are very visual (which is why pictures help him) but not as verbal (why he may have trouble remembering names). I'm not sure what your question is, but it sounds like autism to me.
    Look into social stories! Since he is good at remembering what is in pictures, it may help him to go over social stories about how to act in certain social situations. My 10 year old was diagnosed with autism when he was younger, but has "outgrown" the classification - he no longer tests ASD. Social stories helped him so much, there are also social skills groups that will help with this kind of stuff, check with your local speech therapist.

Answer by missanc at 1:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP He just seems bad to me. Like he is just immature and out of control. Like maybe I need to crack down on him. I just don't see it. I have tried but he just doesn't seem to fiut the bill for me. And yeah what you mentioned. I think thta's what they said. I'll have to look at the paper work again.
    Anonymous

• The outburst could be due to an adversion to something in his enviroment. Some kids have issues with sound,light,patterns,noise,crowds,voices,smells...the list goes on! Could also be an innability to communicate his needs/wants.Is he in special ed? He'll need a behavior modification instructor to help him.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• O:: the school is trying to get him and IEP but it hasn't gottne there. they want it to start in first grade. He'll have 45 min. of thearpy in school
    Anonymous

• it sounds like it could be Asbergers, which is on the autism spectrum
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Do you really want to subject him to public school. He would so not fit. If you homeschooled there has to be some way you can get therapy for him.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have known children with similar behaviors and the diagnosis was not Autism. There are many other childhood disorders that have similar features. It can take a lot of time to sort through the issues and tease out what is really going on. The first step is an evaluation and then you go from there. Unfortunately not all professionals will always agree on the same diagnosis. You could do a second opinion and wind up with wanting a third.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It does very much sound like high functioning autism of some sort, either PDD-NOS or Asperger Syndrome, but as frogdawg pointed out, those symptoms could be signs of other issues. However, the good thing is that the typical therapies used for children on the Autism Spectrum will also often help children with other diagnoses that have similar symptoms, so if I were you, I'd take full advantage of the services, supports & accomodations that are available to him right now. You can always revisit the IEP (and the doc) should his needs change in the future.
    Anonymous