When should I stop CoSleeping?

Hi Moms,
My baby boy is 8 weeks old. He slept in his bassinett for 4 weeks, and I have been co-sleeping with him for 4 weeks. I feel like he is getting used to sleeping next to me, I don't want this to be a habit, so when would be a good time to transition him to his crib? My husband has been sleeping in the guest room since he doesnt want to roll on the baby. (I know thats not good for the relationship, but its only a temporary thing). I love cosleeping, but I want my son to get used to his crib. Any suggestions?? Thanks girls!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 1:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whenever you are ready, just do it. There is no right or wrong answer.Sounds like you may be ready, so give it a shot tonight.Remember, you can always go get him and bring him back to bed with you if you need to.
    Anonymous

• Whenever you want to have a marriage that won't end
    Anonymous

• Most kids are ready when they are around 3.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My son was 4! But my husband was all for it. If your husband does not want it, I would switch him now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We stopped with my daughter at 12 months
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Actually, my husband is very understanding and supportive of the cosleeping. He wants to do what is best for the baby. I have been the one that is initiating the transition. I think its really sad for some women to assume that just because baby is sleeping in the bed with the parents, or dad is sleeping in the next room that the marriage has to end. Its really sad that some people have such shallow marriages and relationships. Our marriage is very strong, and there is so much more than sex. We have so much love and bond that sleeping in separate rooms for the sake of our childs comfort will not destroy our marriage.

I just want to resume "normal" life again. I just dont want the baby to be scared or sad to be all alone in his room, Im not sure if he is still too little.
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I did it from birth until around 5. We had another room for him by then and he was fine with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Whenever YOU and YOUR FAMILY think it's a good time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• When you're ready. Only you know what is best for you and your family. If the baby fell asleep before I went to bed I would but her in her crib or bassinette, then when she woke up to nurse she would generally end up in bed with us for the rest of the night. As she got older and nursed less she spent less time in our bed. At around 8 months old she was spending most of the night in her crib. I enjoyed cuddling with my babies, and it certainly made nursing easier but at a certain point I was getting better sleep without them in our bed. You do works best for you and your family, there's no right or wrong answer.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If you are ready to stop co-sleeping, then start by setting the bassinet against your side of the bed. He may fuss a few times, but you will be able to reach out and soothe him right away. After he gets used to this new arrangement, gradually begin moving his bed further from your own. This worked very well for me and my daughter. She was born while her father was on leave from Iraq, and he insisted on holding her while she slept (I think he wanted as much time with her as possible). She got used to that, so I continued letting her sleep in our bed after he went back overseas.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 2:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010