How do I care for a lizard we found in our yard?

If I let him go my cats are going to kill him lol. Plus, my 2 year old thinks he's way cool. I have a small aquarium that I could put him in... he won't have much room, but he will be safe.

What do I feed him? What should I put his water in? What does he need as far as light and such? Should I just find another yard to let him go in? I feel bad releasing a lizard into someone else's yard lol. They're harmless, but some people don't like them.

Any advice here?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pets

• We find lizards around here a lot. I "think" they are anoles, but not sure. They are sooo cute though. My daughter LOVES to catch them, but we always release them back into the wild. IMO, that is where they belong and I don't think they'd be happy cooped up in a tiny (even if it is huge by human standards) tank the rest of their lives. If you ever decide you want a pet lizard, you could check with a pet store, rescue, or breeder. :)
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't know how to care for them, but if you let him go yes I do think the cats or dogs will kill him. My dog does it often and once he even knocked himself out shaking the lizard and hit his own head on the cement. He is not much bigger than the lizards. Best wishes with your new "pet". I think the real things are always so much more interesting to learn from for kids. But, I'd be careful if it bites.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Hmm... he's a western fence lizard, a male. His tail is partially detatched, not surprising as I found him in my house lol.

Turns out you need a huge tank and a UV light, and I don't have the money to spend on that. I wished him luck and put him outside. I don't know how long he's been in the house, but he was pretty mild mannered... he seemed to need some food. My daughter cried lol. She loves the lizards, but there will be others. They're all over out here.

Thanks for your answer :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You can go to the pet store and see what they are doing for lizards.I know they need a warming rock.The pet shop can also tell you what to feed him.

But since he is used to the wild he may be better off by himself :(
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would re-release him, unless you want to purchase a terrarium for him. Most lizards need heat lamps and other things for basic maintenance. He is probably better off in the wild. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2010