LOL.I just don't understand why some moms are SO anal about every little thing thier children eat.

I mean, come on...you guys are uptight about a little one eating a cheeto? What do you think would happen to them if they had the occassional cookie or cup of hot cocoa? You never EVER give them a sweet treat? I think that would be cruel and unusual punishment,lol.
I wouldn't give it to them on a daily basis, but come on, the way some of you sound its like you think they will turn orange and float away or get some kind of terrible disease if they eat something like a piece of a candy bar or something like that.
Why?What do you think will happen to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have actually had people say some pretty stupid things to me on here because I didn't see anything wrong with letting a baby have soda. Did I let mine have a 2 liter? no. Did I let them have a small cup every now and then? Sure. It actually settled my oldeststomach when she was a baby. She would scream because her tummy hurt. Give her a couple of ounces of sprite and she was a happy baby.  I had people freak out at a bday party because I put icing on my finger and let my infant suck it off.  You would have thought I gave him the whole cake and ice cream the way they went on about it.  My sister doesn't even let her 2 year old have sweets.  It's crazy.  That kid is on a diet most supermodels are on.  All 5 of my kids are alive and well, and not overweight btw.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I feed my children a very healthy diet. We rarely do processed foods. We eat a minimal amount of junk food. But my kids do eat cookies, cake and ice cream. They just happen to be homemade.

Chips are like a once or twice a year thing, usually on New Year's Eve.

Teaching good eating habits during childhood will last a lifetime.
    Anonymous

• Have you seen teens and kids and adults that were allowed to eat whatever, whenever? And I mean starting as little babies? Not cool. Have you seen anyone that has eaten healthy from the very beginning? BIG difference. And all the chemicals and preservatives, dyes are harmful. My son CANNOT have Red Dye #40 Lake, he turns into an ADHD demon, but, without it, he is fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Restricting all 'treats' and all 'junk food' backfires many times as your child ages. They discover them via friends at school and often binge, unbeknownst to you. On two occaisions I've seen children literally estrange themselves from a parent because they feel like they've been cheated and lied too. Everything in moderation.
    Anonymous

• Why feed kids unhealthy food? When they are fed healthy food they like healthy food.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No one ever said our kids NEVER have them. But, until age 4 or 5, mine did NOT have any. Then, he got some occasionally. He is now 14 and gets stuff alot...but, he is so active and his metabolism is so good, that he is underweight. He doesn't go all hog wild on stuff. He understands healthy foods and limits.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Everything in moderation is almost always wrong. Kids that are fed healthy food aren't all lied to and they don't feel cheated. My son is 21 and can eat what he wants and won't touch soda, doesn't do fast food, doesn't eat candy, and really doesn't eat much of anything bad.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Food allergies, ever heard of them?

Treats do not need to contain HFCS, any refined sugars at all, preservatives, artificial flavorings, food colorings, MSG, excess sodium, saturated/trans fats/trans fatty acids, or empty calories... I feel sorry that you function under the misconception that those who do not eat junk food, somehow suffer.
    I'm making a long term investment in the health- they will not be at risk for juvenile diabetes, HBP, respritory problems, hormonal imbalances caused by weight, heart disease, fatty liver... the list just goes on.

Why assume that because people do not eat like YOU, that they do not enjoy food?

I have 3 children who choose fresh fruit over candy, veggies & hummus over a burger (left to their own devices- alone in a room with the food), they recognize what is edible, and what is not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• my kiddo eats what we eat and the doc said he is growing great and doing great... my parents fed us how i feed him and so did many generations before... i get a lot of crap for it from other people but i dont care he eats what we eat most of the time ... i mean im not gonna give him soda or a bunch of candy but every now and then he gets a taste of it
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• ETA* As long as you teach good eating habits, importance of staying active, and moderation, you shouldn't have a problem with your kid becoming a YooHoo addict.  It's when all of that is left out that there is a problem. 

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010