What is the deal with it being so hard to believe?

I read many books that are not even looked at till high school or later very early.
Even DH read things early. School systems are different and they were way different between when I was in grade school and now. Yes, I read Poe in 2nd grade and Shakespeare in 5th grade. We read The Raven in 2nd grade. I feel in love with Edgar Allen Poe at that age. Also between 2nd and 5th grade I read MANY novels on the Holocaust, many were pretty graphic. They were all group reading projects that we had in our Reading Lit classes. I am sorry if some did not receive the same chances but just because YOU didn't do it does not mean that someone else had the great chance to do it. Even my cousin who is 10 years old is reading those books, not for school but because me and my Aunt love them.
Why can't people just understand that YES in this country many people got different educations? What books if any did you get a chance to read early?

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• MANY...I could read before i ever started school. So, by 2nd or 3rd grade, I was WAY ahead of the loop. LOL There are so many books at my house now it is unreal. My son also reads tons. And way above his level.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• wow, you have a great memory. The only books i remember reading when i was in school was The Outsiders and The Lord of The Rings.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 2:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• kd2kds - I also remember reading "The Outsiders". One of my all time favorites. I don't remember what I read in 2nd grade.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I remember back to when my brothers were born which was around 3. I also always remember books and when I read them. I love books.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I remember reading short stories of Edgar Allen Poe VERY early also, like 2nd and 3rd grade. I've been enamored with his writings ever since. I love the Raven, Pit and the Pendulum, The Purloined Letter, and more. We read Shakespeare starting in middle school (I think in 5th grade we read Hamlet). Throughout school I read (and enjoyed) many classic novels. Jane Eyre, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, To Kill a Mockingbird, the poems of Walt Whitman, The Scarlet Letter, 1984, and many many more. Because of the books we read in school, and because of starting at a young age, I grew to love reading any good story. But I know in many schools, they don't even spend much time on reading which is sad.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• The only non kiddy books I remember reading before middle school are The Three Musketeers and Moby Dick...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I read alot, but I think I always stayed close to my age. like the box car kids, the babysitters club, I really enjoyed series. I probably would have read more if someone would have taken me to the public library often. I dont even know how I got ahold of most of the books I read growing up, I guess they where passed to me through friends. I one read most of "To the center of the earth" in elementry & "Gone with the Wind" but for some reason I quit.
    I still read alot, wish I had more time & hope my daughter learns to love reading as well. We read to her every day. She is 3, shes not reading on her own yet, but im not really rushing it, even though i wish I knew how to teach her without drilling.. She knows letters & their sounds, and a few words like dog, cat.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010