When is a good age to start weening your child off of a pacie?

My son, Addison is 13 months old and today
I realized that one of his front teeth are coming incrooked. He has a hard time going to sleep without it.Should I just limit the pacie to bedtime and nap time?

Asked by IfLoveWasBorn at 10:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi! I am by no means an expert but here is what I did. When my son was 2 I tried to do the weaning. It didn't work out too well because I was as addicted to the pacifier as he was. I tried to do just bed and nap which was ok but he still would try to sneak it and then when he would cry I wanted to give it to him. So, I decided to snip the tip a little bit so that the sucking sensation wasn't satifying anymore. When it was only about 1/2 long, and he was 3 by now, he just decided he didn't like it anymore. My 2 year old daughter just gave it up one night when I realized she didn't really need it. Good luck! It will be harder on you than on him.

Answer by canycegirl at 10:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I hid all of the pacis. from my 1st child when he was 7mths. old, I figured if he didn't see it, he wouldn't look 4 it. I took away the paci. from my 2nd @ 2mths. of age and now both of them can care less about the "paci", I don't think they realize that it ever existed. My G-d daughter is still using her paci. at age 3 and now she is having severe teeth issues. Good luck but if u take all of the pacis. away at one time, yes they will get angry, but eventually they'll get over it.

Answer by LOVEMYBOYS291 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• You should take ur kid of the pacifier the first pacifier they bite through. Once they break one, its bye-bye fy-fy.

Answer by anna_ny at 1:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Well, I have a daughter who is 14 months today and she still uses the paci, but only when napping or going to bed. Other than that they are off limits. With my son I let him have it until he was 2 1/2 and that was a big mistake. I will take my daughters away completely by the time she's 2 and I think that's a good age.

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 1:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• 6 months

Answer by Patience1 at 3:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• If you want to wean it out I would start a little at a time. I got rid of my daughter's when she was 20 months (I would have done it a little earlier but we moved to a different state and wanted her to have it for that). Yes, cut it down to car and bed only. Then cut it out of car. Then cut it out for nap and then night time. I also cut my daughter a tiny bit. Of course, she got mad but got over it fast. I had her throw them out at the mall and she got a new toy. When we got home and she asked where it was I asked her what she did with it and she said "I threw it in the trash". I was lucky that it went that well. But I say the younger you can get rid of it the easier it is. GOOD LUCK

Answer by Aubreysmommy124 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I cut my son back to sleep times only. I took it in the morning when he would eat breakfast and would hide it so he wouldn't see it and want it. This week I have been weaning him off during sleep times. He is almost two and I had tried previously not to give it to him when he went to bed but he screamed for an hour. The other night he was really worn out and I thought I would give it a try and he went right to sleep without it. I have not given it to him since and he will get a little fussy when he first goes to bed but no big fits. We are on day three without it now.

Answer by rasbneon at 11:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• go cold turkey. they cry a few days, but they will eternally be grateful for that because their teeth could grow crooked.

Answer by ashleyamanda at 9:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2008