Does your 5yr old read???

I keep getting asked if my 5 yr old is reading yet. Does yours read? I didn't put my child in pre-k. I decided to do home school this year. Besides that, they didn't meet the cut-off date since their b-day is in Dec. So technically my child doesn't HAVE to start school til this Aug. If my child should be reading....any advice on how/where to start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in

• my daughter just turned 6 and she was reading when she was 5. she caught on really fast.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 2:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Start with letter recognition. Get easy baby books and read the words as you say it. My son learned to read in Kindergarten, my daughter read at 4. I have a 4 1/2 year old who isn't close yet. All kids are different.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My daughtr was reading at four

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Neither of my kids read at 5. They knew letter sounds, could sound out small words, could write quite a few words, etc. but hadn't made the leap to really reading yet. There is a VERY wide age range for learning to read...much wider than schools would have us believe. 6-10 yo is the age range in which most kids start to really read, which means that some kids may read earlier than that and others later and still be considered "normal". Don't worry if your daughter isn't ready to read yet. Just because she's hit the "magical" age of 5 doesn't mean she's developmentally ready. Read to her a lot, help her learn letter sounds and sound out words, help her spell words she asks to spell, etc. and she will learn to read when she is ready.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Forgot to mention...Sometimes people who ask "Can your daughter read?" may actually mean does she know some sight words, sound out small words, read rhyming words, and perform other pre-reading skills? That is not reading. When I say "really reading" I mean being able to pick up a children's early reader type book, figure out the majority of the words within it on their own, and understand it. The average age for that is around 8 yo or third grade. Again, some kids will do this earlier and some later.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Ours could read at five. I started him with sight words and about 4-5 months into kindergarten his reading shot off. I just worked with him on words that were similar or built on the sight words and taught him different word groups (er, ir, sh, th, etc.) He is now 6 and reading 4th and 5th grade level books.

If yours isn't reading though, just start working with him and he'll progress. Do letter sounds. Some people say yes to sight words, others say no, so it's basically up to you. Read to him, and have him sound out the letters you've worked on with him. Make it fun. Kids do things at their own speed though, so don't be too stressed out about it at this age.
    Anonymous

• My oldest couldn't read at 5, but he has moderate autism. My 2nd and 3rd started reading simple words at 4. We always worked on letter sounds since they were toddlers, I read to them LOTS, and started pointing out signs in the community (STOP, Harris Teeter, etc.) that they saw often. They also went to preschool, and the preschool did work with them on letter recognition and sounds, but not the real "reading"

Answer by missanc at 8:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My dd learned to read in kinder, when she was 5. My son is 4, in pre-K this year and is picking up a few words. I suspect he will be reading next year in kinder, like his big sis.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2010