Contact sport while pregnant?

How long would you continue to play a contact sport while pregnant? I played college ice hockey and now play in a mens rec league. It's non checking but still contact. My stomach and pelvis are covered with padded gear.

I'm 6 weeks today and I think as long as I feel up to it I'll go till about 10-12 weeks? I know a couple women that played for the 1st 12 weeks. I feel like as long as I'm not showing at all there should be a little natural padding too. I'm thin and this is my second baby so I'll probably start to show pretty early. If it wasn't for the potential "contact" I would play much longer.

What do you all think? Would you stop playing the day you found out you were pregnant? 6 weeks? 8? 10 or more? Do any of you even play contact sports?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I ride horses, and this time around I plan to ride until I just can't any more, because I'll face it, there'll be one day where I can't get my own foot in the stirrup without help. That'll be the day I stop riding. I just flat refuse to give it up the moment I found out this time because I didn't get to ride from August 2008 all the way through November 2009. It almost killed me! Then, when I got back on, I was so out of shape I almost couldn't hold myself up. So, I refuse to let this one keep me from something I love until it actually becomes a danger.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Ask your doctor.
    Anonymous

• THANK YOU Matobe! Finally some one who gets it lol. I gave up hockey for 2 years with the last pregnancy (I messed my ankles up walking miles in flip-flops right after I had DD and could play or walk for months!) Now that I'm finally playing again I don't want to give it up until I REALLY have too!

After I decided to stop playing games I plan to go to stick time, which is just like practice and zero contact, for as long as I can fit in my gear lol!

-OP
    Anonymous