"luau" or "rainbow" theme for daughters first birthday?

I'm not sure if I should make it a big deal or not...it is her first birthday and that is kinda a big deal but then again she won't remember it and there will be many more to come.

should I just buy a kit online and just keep it super simple or should I plan a big one?

I already have a location which is at my friends house by the beach and I plan on making the cake no matter what

I have a rainbow cake picked out but a luau one would be cute to do also

she is part Hawaiian so thats why I wanted the luau theme but her baby shower was already kinda beach themed

I love the idea of the rainbow theme because it would be so much fun and easy but then again it would be more expensive considering the fact that I would have to buy one of each color of everything

there will be a pool there so a luau might fit better but should I do that now or wait till she gets older and knows how to swim?

I know I'm over

Electronica_Mom

Asked by Electronica_Mom at 3:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think the luau theme is cute. First b-days are more for the adults b/c the kids typically dont remember them. Both of my daughters had big parties b/c I was super excited. Keep it simple and cute. Save the rainbow for when shes older so she can appreciate all the effort that goes into it :)
    Anonymous

• Traditionally, a first birthday (and even 5th b-day) is a huge deal in Hawaii. It goes back to a time when babys dont make it thru the first or first 5 years. But it's not a "theme" its a Luau. lol If you want to honor her culture, I would go with a Luau, but not with cheezy plastic lei's and umbrellas in the drinks and call it a luau.
    If it doesnt matter to his family, then do what you want! :)
    Anonymous

• I think the 1st birthday should be simple and quiet. We just had a small party, we didn't want to overwhelm her or interrupt nap time and have her irritable for her birthday.
    Anonymous

• wow someone has their panties in a bunch
    Anonymous

• i THIN KA BIG BASH THATS WHAT WE DO => LUA WOULD BE WONDERFUL BY THE EBACH SOOO CUTE
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 6:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I love rainbows myself.
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 5:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• first birthdays are definitely a big deal!!! :) I went all out but only in the part of amount of people invited. we did have food and cafe and decorationgs but it wasnt a TON of decor. it was cheap decor $ wise and the entire family got to spend time with her.

i like the rainbow color idea. smiple yet fun! and you dont have to get different color for every product bought.

example: plates and cups buy plates red, cups purple diff color baloons, napkins be yellow spoons be green forks be.... wow i forgot what colors are in the rainbow, but you get my idea! :)

ad even if its by the beach, i think the rainbow fits its great!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2011