What happened to my perfect son? Now he's 16 month old...

I keep thinking he HAS to be getting a tooth, but usually the only way I can tell that he's getting a tooth is his cheeks turning red, then seeing a new white cap popping through a day or two later. His cheeks aren't red, no fever, & the teething drops don't faze him.

He gets upset over ANYONE leaving the room or house. Even people he doesn't know. Then all of a sudden he starts this thing where he'll wait for me to look at him, then when I do, he throws his body forward/back & tries SO hard to throw a fit (for no apparent reason than for attention). Then when I try to console him & hold him he pushes off of me for a while until finally he'll sit with me & calm down. What I really hate though is the crying during naps :[ I can't stand CIO, but he's started crying, no matter how sleepy/happy he is to lay down when I leave the room. I've even tried staying longer with him, but nothing.

Is this common for his age? Will it stop?

ours

Asked by ours at 3:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nobody has a perfect baby lady. You just got lucky for 15 months. Yes this is normal. Yes it will stop. When I have no idea my son is 20 months and still is "very dramatic". As for the crying at naptime, CIO won't kill him. It's the only way he is going to nap so get used to it. They don't WANT to nap when there are other fun things to do so they get upset. He'll be fine. My twins have lived to a ripe old age of 20 months using the CIO method from a very young age. Laying with him and babying him at naptime is just going to make him act worse in the end so STOP THAT.
    Anonymous

• OP: I usually let him cry the first 5mins of his nap or at bedtime, but it doesn't stop after then like it might have before whenever he did happen to fuss or cry. I go in there & try to calm him down & usually when I lay him down again he'll cry some more, but then settle down for bed.

Is he just being more needy than usual? Would it be bad to kind of baby him for the time being? I'm just worried that I'll lose my somewhat independent/loving toddler & he'll turn into a kid attached to their mom's hip 24/7 & spoiled. I've never had a problem giving him the extra attention he needs when he's not feeling well, getting a tooth, or sleepy, but there just doesn't seem to be a reason now.

Please tell me this isn't the start of terrible twos. If it is, when does it end? What should I do?
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• ANON -

Well he's been MY idea of the perfect baby. I've always felt very lucky to have such an easy/happy baby.

I don't baby him, but I don't ignore when something's different with him either. He usually LOVES his naps & goes down without a fuss. He's always been a great sleeper. Plus I can't ignore him when he's throwing these random fits, he'll hurt himself the way he throws himself around.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Kylie is kind of like that.. She has a problem when doors are closed and throws a fit. If he throws a fit when you look at him, wait a minute to look at him... maybe during that time he'll forget what just happened.. Kylie also hates being put down for a nap. So I let her put herself to sleep... Even when it's time for bed. I THINK it's the terrible twos. And no, don't baby him. Especially now at this age... from here on out.
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 10:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2010