What is your opinion of parents who let kids smoke?

I love my mother-in-law, and I think she is a fantastic lady. That being said, I was mortified when my husband told me that she not only knew that he was smoking cigarettes at 13, but that she actually PROVIDED them for him (he will be 26 this week, and he still smokes). She and his father are smokers (at least, she was until her SECOND round of breast cancer), and it seems they were those "if they are going to smoke anyway..." kind of parents. We have a young daughter (16 months), and I hate it enough that her father smokes, and that I will one day have to explain WHY she can't do what her daddy does (I remember how it hurt to find out as a kid that some of my loved ones were hurting themselves). I worry too that he thinks the same way as his parents on this subject. What are your thoughts on parents like his? Would you still try to discourage them, even if you knew your kids smoked? Or would you "go with it"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not allow it in my house and I definetly woulnt buy it
    Anonymous

• Kids learn by example your daughter will probably smoke anyway
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• I don't smoke, my parents don't smoke...My son WILL NOT smoke. Until he is out on his own and I can't stop him. I even get on to my co=worker and her son about smoking. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• ANON 2.36 that was kind of a bitch thing to say to a concerned mother.
    Anonymous

• If she was that concerned her kid wouldn't be around a smoker mine are not allowed
    Anonymous

• I won't enable my kids to smoke even though my husband smokes. I don't agree with the that kids are going to do such and such anyway so why not let them idea. It sounds way too much like giving up.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• So, she should what? Have her DH move out because he's a smoker, and never allow their child to see him?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would never allow my chilren to smoke in my house and defenitely not buy it. I do think it is a loosing battle when a parent smokes though
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 3:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• i just think if a parent smokes and a child decides they want to smoke the parent cant sit there and really say "no, its bad for you" They need to either quit or look the other way. I guess thats what your MIL did cuz she didnt want to feel like she was being a hypocrite.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010