Naps?

My daughter is 2.5 y.o. She will be turning 3 in September.

Lately, she has been getting up between 7:30- 8:15 in the morning. I usually have her lay down for a nap around 1:30/2:30, well she is always napping before 3 at least. She will take a nap for about 2 hours, give or take. So, she is up about 3 or 4, depending on when she fell asleep.

I have put her to bed at 8:30/9pm since before she was 18 months. At first she was fussy about it, but got into the routine. Then she would be to sleep within 30 mins of me putting her to bed.

But the past two weeks, I will get her in bed at normal time, read to her and everything like normal, but she will be up talking and messing around in her room til almost 10:30 pretty much everynight.

I was thinking today, and thought maybe she doesn't need a nap anymore. Does it sound like that to anyone else?

mom_love07

Asked by mom_love07 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she sleepy when you lay her down for her nap? If so I'd say still let her get some sleep. If she's still pretty awake & playing but just used to you laying her down then I'd try out skipping it one day, or maybe wait to see if she get's sleepy later & keep the nap short, like one hour.

My baby cousin is 3 & still takes a nap in the afternoon. You can tell he needs it. He'll get the bags under his eyes & start being really cuddly.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Go by her cues. Is she sleepy come nap time? Does she act out more if she doesn't get a nap, like she's too over-tired? If not, then try skipping it one day and see what happens. Maybe skip the nap and move bedtime up an hour to make up for some of it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• That's what I figured I'd do. I am seeing what happens today with no nap. And since she isn't napping I am going get her in bed about 7:30/8pm.

Actaully to get her to nap, I usually have to hold her til she falls asleep. Which I know is not exactly the best idea, but she would usually go to bed just fine everynight. I wouldn't have to hold her, I'd bring her up, have her hop in bed, then sit and read her a few books, then I turn on her fan, she likes the noise. And leave the room. I go downstairs and go about cleaning up or whatever.

She usually does get kind of cranky if she doesn't get a nap. but the last time was when my mom had her, and she wasn't really cranky that day, not until it got like 8 around when I left.
    mom_love07

Answer by mom_love07 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010