How can I convince my fiancee that his son's behavior isn't because of his son's personality, but that his son is smart enough to know what he can get away with and how far he can push bad behavior?

My fiancee has a 2 yr old son and I have a 2 yr old daughter. They're literally 3 days apart in age. Our problem is that his son acts out and fusses and doesn't listen when we're out in public or even at home. He seems to think or assume that this normal 2 yr old behavior, but its not. I understand having a tantrum out of tiredness or being hungry, or whatever, but his son is only whining and crying and acting out to get his daddy's attention and he doesn't get to spend any timetalking with his family or even me for that matter. I know his son just wants attention, but there's a point where enough is enough and he should just go and play with out screaming or yelling or crying for no reason. He's a perfect gentlemen with me and at daycare. I don't understand how to break both of them of this bad behavior cycle. My daughter isn't a perfect angel either, but at least I can take her into public without having to chase her.

CaseyR808

Asked by CaseyR808 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have a daughter so you don't understand boys
    Anonymous

• Well boys develop different than girls for one. How long have you and his dad been together...is he still adjusting to that? Also maybe try diff. discipline for him than your daughter. If you can't find anything to work I suggest finding a sitter for when you venture out until he gets a little older Good luck . Some kids just do not do well out in public to much excitement.
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 4:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• WHOA.....while it may just be him. At two, boys and girls are not that different. I have been around MANY 2 y/o and girls and boys can be equally as good as rotten. So, don't use that excuse...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You are comparing two different children and judging him by your dd. That's not right even if they were blood siblings. If it's attention he wants then dad needs to give it to him. That would solve the problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You don't understand boys at all. My son will be two on June 3rd and no matter how we discipline him, he still cries for daddy's attention. His son may be acting out because of the different changes with you and your daughter coming into his life. Give the kid a break and let him be. He'll adjust.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Sometimes another child at the same age is hard to deal with and maybe he thinks he is losing his father it will take sometime for him to get used to the changes.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2010