baby pool vs public pool

my daughter is a year old and this summer i would like to take her to the pool but i am debating on a baby pool or public pool. anyone just do baby pools until their kids were a little older? and the public pool i am talking about is in a gated community so its not that public. do you take your kids to the kiddie pool or big pool with you? thanks

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 4:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, the biggest difference is that she can sit and play easier in a baby pool b/c its not over her head...and if their happens to be a "baby pool" section of this other pool it would be ok I guess...but I would rather just be at home.

They are cheap and you can stick your feet in as she plays.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I took my kids to the indoor waterpark we were just in the baby pool and I have been dealing with pink eye for 2 weeks now
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 4:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Oh and another tip...I would get one of those plastic blow up type...b/c if she falls over she would hit her head on the soft rings around it.

Of course, those type are harder to empty....the hard plastic type are easier to pour the water out of when you are done ;)

Just some tips...lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We use both. We have an inflatable one we use here at the house sometimes, and then we use our neighborhood pool as well on a daily basis. Our neighborhood pool has a baby pool that is gated inside the gate for the public pool, so I can close the gate to that and let him run around in there while still keeping an eye on my older ones in the "big" pool.

Answer by missanc at 4:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• thanks. i also have family with pools but they live out of state so i think i might just get a baby pool because the public pool does have a baby section but there is just too many kids there in the summer time. at this age i think i might just buy a little pool.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Just keep in mind - I liked taking my son to the "big" pool since he was very young so he could get used to going underwater. I did this with all of my kids and I never had one that was afraid to go underwater like so many kids, because they had been doing it since they were a few months old. I also make sure we go to an indoor public pool at least once/month in the winter so they don't "forget" what its like. I guess you could do this in the bathtub by pouring water over their heads (which I also do), but I've always found it very effective to swim with them, so they could watch me go under as well.

Answer by missanc at 5:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2010