Is my baby eating too much?

He eats 2 1/2-3 ounces at a time and my first son only ate 2 at a time til about 3 months. He is only 3 weeks old. And before I get preaching about breastfeeding, I can't due to a med that I'm on. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I switched to formula at 4 weeks, my son would drink 4 oz every 4 hours. So...IDK. As long as he is content and you aren't feeding him after he turned his head away then you should be fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If he was getting too much, it would be all over you. **grin**

And just so you know...MOST meds are indeed safe while nursing. If you *want* to investigate, google Lact-Med and look up your med. Doctors are 99 percent of the time wrong about meds and mother's milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP here-I searched it on the American academy of pediatrics.
    Anonymous

• "OP here-I searched it on the American academy of pediatrics. "

Sadly, NOT a good resource. They just use the Physician's Desk Reference, which only goes by the manufacturer's info. And manufacturers just say "no"...it's easier. My prenatals had a warning for pregnant women not to take them!

Google Lact-med. It's run by the National Institutes of Health and is VERY thorough and accurate. Again...if you want to. It is of course your decision.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP Again- Thanks for the site!! I'm all dried up now but good to know for my next baby. Now I'm disappointed in myself! =(
    Anonymous

• NO! Do NOT be disappointed in yourself! You used the best information source that you had, and that is all you can do. It simply isn't your fault that your doctors, nurses, and prescribing doctor failed you in not getting reliable information to you. We should not have to turn to google to figure out if we can breastfeed with our meds. They should be able to get good information without being too lazy to search it out! You at least looked - I bet they just told you no.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• you could relactate with fengreek and mothers milk. It wont hurt to try if you want to.
    babygirl9669

Answer by babygirl9669 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2010